Friday, 4 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Zeljko Rakic, Ranko Rakic and Marko Stankovic have been charged with killing civilian Zuhra Hasanovic in the village of Kucice in the municipality of Zavidovici at the end of August or the beginning of September 1992. According to the indictment, the defendants were members of the Bosnian Serb Army.

At today’s hearing, Zeljko Rakic said he drove his wife and grandmother to the home of relatives in Sremska Mitrovica in Serbia in late April 1992. He said he then went to Germany after International Worker’s Day on May 1, and found a job there.

“Considering the fact that I had papers that enabled me to work and live in one district only, I couldn’t leave Germany. I couldn’t even leave when my son was born in December 1992. It was hard for me. I wanted to go, but my father-in-law stopped me and promised he would bring my wife and child to me. He did that in October 1993,” Rakic said.

Rakic said he stayed in Germany until the spring of 1997. He said he didn’t participate in even a single day of war in the territory of the former Yugoslavia.

The prosecution objected to a part of Rakic’s testimony which contradicted a statement previously given by prosecution witness Rasko Husanovic, as well as material evidence it intended to include in the case file.

The defense told the court that documentation which confirmed Rakic’s claims was still being translated.

Trial chamber chair Enes Malicbegovic said he was waiting for a response from the Ministry of Justice of Bosnia and Herzegovina regarding the authenticity of the documents.

During Ranko Rakic’s cross examination, the prosecution presented his military records as material evidence. The prosecution also objected to a portion of Rakic’s testimony which differed from testimony given by prosecution witnesses. Rakic last testified at a hearing held on October 7.

The defense presented a decision on the opening of a registry and the hiring of Rakic as one of its employees. This evidence was included in the case file.

The trial will continue on November 23.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Bosnian Army Ex-Soldiers Jailed for Beating Prisoners
Former Bosnian Army soldiers Muhko and Safet Velagic were found guilty of committing war crimes against prisoners of war in the Bugojno area in July 1993. The Cantonal Court in Novi Travnik sentenced Muhko Velagic was sentenced to seven years in prison and Safet Velagic to six years for war crimes against prisoners of war.
Bosnian Serb Policeman Jailed for Shooting Civilian
Former policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic was sentenced to three years in prison for shooting a civilian dead in the Ribnik area in August 1992. The District Court in Banja Luka on Tuesday convicted ex-policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic of committing crimes against the civilian population in the Ribnik area.
Policeman Convicted of Murdering Bosniak Brothers, Sister
Bosnian Serb Soldier Acquitted of Sokolac Beating
Bosnian Serb Soldier Jailed for Prisoners’ Beating, Murder
Bosnian Boxing Star Acquitted of Wartime Crimes