Sunday, 6 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Former Bosnian Army soldiers Ramo Zilic and Esad Gakic have been charged with the inhumane treatment of Croat and Serb civilians who were detained at the Musala school building in Konjic.

“I don’t know Dragan Kuljanin at all. I wasn’t even present when he was beaten up, because I was released from by duties as a guard on September 25, 1994. I never even touched Zdravko Knezevic . I never even entered the room he was detained in. I didn’t know him at all until I saw him in this courtroom,” Zilic said.

Zilic said he wasn’t at the Musala school building when the detainees were beaten.

“I went to Mount Bjelasnica with my brother in order to take our parents to Konjic. This happened in late July or early August. I was away for five to seven days. When I returned to Musala, Rasim Krza informed me that Mirke had come and taken the detainees from Trusina away for questioning and probably beat them up,” Zilic said.

He said he heard that Krza filed a report on the beating and gave it to to the prison manager – Zimic’s brother, Edhem Zilic.

Zimic said that he had no privileges despite the fact that his brother was the prison manager.

Edhem Zilic, who testified for the defense, confirmed that he went to Mount Bjelasnica with his brother, Ramo Zilic, to pick their parents up. Edhem Zilic said detainees were beaten at the Musala school building during their absence.

“When I returned to Musala, detainee Zeljko Petrovic told me that Zoran Muftic and the men from Trusina had been beaten up. I asked Rasim Krza, the duty officer, to write a report about that event. This was not the first time I undertook measures related to the torture of prisoners,” Edhem Zilic said.

He said Mithat Mirkic, also known as Mirke, and his men were mentioned as the persons who abused the prisoners.

“He was a commander and had his own unit. I told all of this to Hague investigators as well,” Edhem Zilic said.

The prosecution asked Edhem Zilic to explain why certain witnesses had said they were treated the worst during his term as manager.

“All the bad things that happened to me were caused by Serbs, but they did not say such things about me. Croats did nothing to me, so why would I take revenge on them? I took care of their meals and their safety. They could receive visitors freely. I do not see how that can be called mistreatment, but everyone can say whatever they want.”

The trial will continue on April 14.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Bosnian Army Ex-Soldiers Jailed for Beating Prisoners
Former Bosnian Army soldiers Muhko and Safet Velagic were found guilty of committing war crimes against prisoners of war in the Bugojno area in July 1993. The Cantonal Court in Novi Travnik sentenced Muhko Velagic was sentenced to seven years in prison and Safet Velagic to six years for war crimes against prisoners of war.
Bosnian Serb Policeman Jailed for Shooting Civilian
Former policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic was sentenced to three years in prison for shooting a civilian dead in the Ribnik area in August 1992. The District Court in Banja Luka on Tuesday convicted ex-policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic of committing crimes against the civilian population in the Ribnik area.
Policeman Convicted of Murdering Bosniak Brothers, Sister
Bosnian Serb Soldier Acquitted of Sokolac Beating
Bosnian Serb Soldier Jailed for Prisoners’ Beating, Murder
Bosnian Boxing Star Acquitted of Wartime Crimes