Saturday, 5 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

The pronouncement of the verdict is due to take place on June 16 this year.

Gajic, a former member of the “Orlovi Grmeca” (“The Eagles of Grmec”) Reconnaissance Squad with the Republika Srpska Army, VRS, admitted having killed a member of the Army of Bosnia and Herzegovina, ABiH, who had been captured, with a bayonet in Sokolac village, Bihac municipality in November 1994.

Indictee Gajic briefly addressed the Trial Chamber, saying that he “apologised to the family of the killed man for the monstrous act”.

The guilt admission agreement proposes that Gajic be sentenced to between five and eight years in prison.

State Prosecutor Dragan Corlija said that there was sufficient evidence to prove that Gajic committed the crime, adding that, considering the way in which the crime was committed, a sentence close to the maximum proposed one should be pronounced.

“Nedzad Dizdarevic was slaughtered in front of many witnesses. The video recording, which the media broadcast recently, clearly shows that Dizdarevic, who was 20 at the time, was weak. He left a wife and a child younger than one year old behind,” Corlija said.

Predrag Radulovic, Defence attorney of the indictee, pointed out that, by admitting guilt, Gajic had begun “his own rehabilitation”, adding that “the sentence is less important to the person who comprehends and admits the crime he committed”.

“My client has not had peace of mind for years. I believe that, through his relations with his own kids he realised what he had done to the child of the murdered person. I have noticed that his regret is sincere and he is firmly determined to admit the crime… Neither the prison bars not the passage of time will be able to change it. I am aware of the fact that, not even the maximum sentence will correct the situation, but I am asking you to pronounce a sentence within the proposed range,” Radulovic said.

The trial of Pavle Gajic began on May 17 this year.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Local Wartime Security Chief Acquitted of Rape Charges in Bosnia
Bosnia's state court ruled that Andrija Bjelosevic was not guilty of the multiple rape of a Bosniak woman in Derventa during the 1990s war, questioning the reliability of her testimony.
Bosnian Serb Ex-Soldier Convicted of Forced Disappearances
The Bosnian state court convicted wartime Bosnian Serb Army soldier Zoran Ilic of the forced disappearances of 16 Bosniak civilians who were seized by troops near Rogatica in June 1992.
Bosnian Serb Ex-Soldiers Plead Not Guilty to Aiding Genocide
Seven Bosnian Army Ex-Troops Convicted of Wartime Prisoner Abuse
Bosnia Convicts Serb Ex-Fighter of Raping Woman Prisoner