Saturday, 5 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

According to the charges, Petrovic, a former member of the Croatian Defense Council arrested a Serb civilian named Nikola Magazin in late May or early June 1992. In collaboration with another soldier, Petrovic allegedly beat Magazin and took him to the Sudareva cave, where he killed him.

State prosecution witness Ibro Maslesa said he searched for Magazin, his neighbour, two days after his disappearance, but was unable to find him. Maslesa said he overheard a conversation between a man and a protected witness known as A on Magazin’s fate.

“Witness A told the man that he was present during Nikola’s murder and that the two men who killed him told him they would do the same to him if he told anyone about it. It seems to me that A said it was someone named Petrovic,” Maslesa said.

Vejsil Niksic, a former member of the Territorial Defense of the Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina, also testified at today’s hearing. Niksic participated in a search in late June 1992 in order to find Bosnian Serb forces.

“We walked some 1,000 meters away from Vukovo Polje. We heard sporadic gunfire. I saw smoke in the area where the search was going on. I also saw sheep lying. I knew they belonged to Nikola Magazin, because we knew each other. We worked together for seven years. I saw his yellow jacket and his bag. I began calling his name, but he didn’t answer,” Niksic said.

Mladen Petrovic, another soldier, confirmed having participated in the search. He said he also saw the sheep, but didn’t know who they belonged to. According to Petrovic, he hadn’t heard that there had been casualties during the search.

Dragan Petrovic, another soldier, said he and commander Zdravko Petrovic, Mladenko Petrovic, Srecko Petrovic, Ivica Petrovic, and Dragan Tomic participated in the search.

Petrovic said no shooting could be heard during the search except automatic fire Serb positions. He also said he did not see any sheep in the area. Fifteen or twenty days later he said he heard someone had killed a Serb, whose first and last name he did not know.

A statement given by Rade Magazin, who died in the meantime, was read at this hearing as well. He said that while searching for his father Nikola he received information that he had been taken away by Marinko Petrovic and Mladen Petrovic. The statement indicates he got this information from Zvonko and Janja Tipuric.

In his statement Rade Magazin said a schoolmate, whose name he did not want to mention, told him Marinko Petrovic and Mladen Petrovic had taken his father to a cave and killed him. Rade Magazin said that Marinko Petrovic then took his wristwatch off, saying he would no longer need it.

The trial will continue on September 18.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Bosnian Army Ex-Soldiers Jailed for Beating Prisoners
Former Bosnian Army soldiers Muhko and Safet Velagic were found guilty of committing war crimes against prisoners of war in the Bugojno area in July 1993. The Cantonal Court in Novi Travnik sentenced Muhko Velagic was sentenced to seven years in prison and Safet Velagic to six years for war crimes against prisoners of war.
Bosnian Serb Policeman Jailed for Shooting Civilian
Former policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic was sentenced to three years in prison for shooting a civilian dead in the Ribnik area in August 1992. The District Court in Banja Luka on Tuesday convicted ex-policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic of committing crimes against the civilian population in the Ribnik area.
Policeman Convicted of Murdering Bosniak Brothers, Sister
Bosnian Serb Soldier Acquitted of Sokolac Beating
Bosnian Serb Soldier Jailed for Prisoners’ Beating, Murder
Bosnian Boxing Star Acquitted of Wartime Crimes