Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Josip Maric, a former police commander and the deputy commander of the Security and Information Service of the Croatian Defense Council in Kiseljak, has been charged with war crimes against civilians and prisoners of war in the municipality of Kiseljak in 1993.

Miroslav Skoro, a former member of the Croatian Defense Council, told the Cantonal Court in Novi Travnik that he knew of Maric from Kiseljak, but met him in Kresevo in June and July 1993.

“I met Maric a couple of times after I had been appointed company commander. I went to the police station in Kresevo. That’s where I met him,” Skoro said.

Josip Tavra, a resident of the village of Gromiljak, near Kiseljak, said he attended a search operation conducted by Croatian Defense Council members and police in the presence of the Commission for Refugees. He said he didn’t see Maric there.

Marko and Ilija Majic said members of the Bosnian Army deported them from Fojnica. They said they found accommodation in Gromiljak, near Kiseljak, and didn’t know Maric.

Stipo Milicevic, a former member of the Croatian Defense Council, said he knew Maric and met him a few times during the war. Milicevic said Maric wasn’t among the soldiers and policemen who searched houses in Gromiljak.

“I once saw houses being searched. They were dressed in camouflage uniforms. I didn’t know them. There’s no way Maric could have been among them,” Milicevic said.

Rafael Musa, a member of the Commission for Refugees, testified at this hearing as well. The Commission for Refugees accommodated refugees in houses abandoned by Bosniaks, Croats and Serbs in Kiseljak in 1993.

Musa said refugees were primarily accommodated in empty houses, and didn’t receive assistance from the police, the army or Maric.

The trial will continue on June 15.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Bosnian Army Ex-Soldiers Jailed for Beating Prisoners
Former Bosnian Army soldiers Muhko and Safet Velagic were found guilty of committing war crimes against prisoners of war in the Bugojno area in July 1993. The Cantonal Court in Novi Travnik sentenced Muhko Velagic was sentenced to seven years in prison and Safet Velagic to six years for war crimes against prisoners of war.
Bosnian Serb Policeman Jailed for Shooting Civilian
Former policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic was sentenced to three years in prison for shooting a civilian dead in the Ribnik area in August 1992. The District Court in Banja Luka on Tuesday convicted ex-policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic of committing crimes against the civilian population in the Ribnik area.
Policeman Convicted of Murdering Bosniak Brothers, Sister
Bosnian Serb Soldier Acquitted of Sokolac Beating
Bosnian Serb Soldier Jailed for Prisoners’ Beating, Murder
Bosnian Boxing Star Acquitted of Wartime Crimes