Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian


The District Court in Doboj. Photo: BIRN BiH.

The District Court in Doboj has confirmed an indictment charging Ante Pavic, a former military policeman with the Croatian Defence Council, the Bosnian Croat wartime force, with war crimes against civilians.

According to the indictment, Pavic participated in beatings, unlawful detentions and rape – crimes committed against civilians who were being held in a detention facility at the Polet football club stadium and old police building in Bosanski Brod.

Serb civilians who were not participating in hostilities were held at the detention facility between April and September 1992.

Pavic is been accused of beating a detainee using his fists and police baton on several occasions in the old police building in Bosanski Brod from April to May 1992 and unlawfully detaining a civilian in June.

He also raped one detainee in September 1992, “causing great suffering and pain to her”, the indictment also claimed.

It is believed that Pavic is a resident of neighbouring Croatia. His lawyer said he gave a statement in Slavonski Brod in Croatia late last year, but the details of the questioning remain unclear and the District Public Prosecution in Doboj has received no official confirmation that it happened.

“The prosecution maintains its proposal to order him into custody until we are able to examine the suspect. We shall try to check whether we can obtain his statement. We shall also check that through the Ministry of Justice of Bosnia and Herzegovina,” said prosecutor Mersiha Mehmedagic.

According to the District Prosecution in Doboj, the indictment was confirmed late last month.

 

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
The Bosnian state prosecution charged seven former Croatian Defence Council military policemen and civilian police officers with unlawfully detaining and assaulting dozens of Bosniaks in the Zepce area in 1993 and 1994.
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children