Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

According to the charges, Miljevic, former member of VRS, killed Azema Kuckovic from an automatic rifle in August 1992.

Jovan Oklobdzija, a former member of the First Krajiski Corps of the Bosnian Serb Army, testified at today’s hearing. Oklobdzija said he was keeping watch when he saw fire in Gornji Budelj.

“We went there to see who lit the fire. We wanted to intimidate Muslims. Marinko Miljevic was walking on my right side. I heard the door and a female voice. Marinko turned around and fired a short burst of gunfire. The woman fell down. It was a negligent murder, because he was afraid and thought it was somebody else. We opened fire in order to scare them, in case there were any soldiers in the village, because they could see us,” Oklobdzija said.

Milan Radisic, another Bosnian Serb Army soldier stationed near Gornji Buldelj, testified at today’s hearing.

“I returned from Laniste and saw fire in the village. Houses were burning. We wanted to proceed, but then we heard a female voice. Marinko turned around and fired, out of fear…He said, ‘I’ve killed Azema. What have I done?,’” Radisic said.

Both witnesses said after Kuckovic’s murder, the Bosniak population soon left the area.

The defendant’s brother, Radoslav Miljevic, also testified at today’s hearing. He said his brother went to the village in order to stop the fire.

“In the morning I heard that Marinko had killed Azema. I didn’t know where her house was and we didn’t talk about it on our way. My brother denied having done that, when I asked him about it later on,” Miljevic said.

Witness Petar Mandic said he knew Kuckovic was killed, but didn’t witness the murder.

Emir Kuckovic, Azema Kuckovic’s son, also testified at today’s hearing. Kuckovic said he was held at the Manjaca detention camp when he heard that his mother had been killed. He said his wife told him about his mother’s death.

“She said they were sleeping and that my mother heard some crackling noises, because my uncle’s houses were on fire. She began running around, shouting, ‘The cows will burn.’ My father could not calm her down. When she left the house, a short burst of gunfire was heard. When they came out, they saw she was dead,” Kuckovic said.

He said his wife recognized a good neighbour named Jovica among the soldiers who shot at his mother. When they met afterwards, he said his wife asked him who killed his mother.

“He said, ‘I didn’t do it, but I know who did. Gorka’s younger brother, Marinko Miljevic,” Kuckovic said.

The next hearing is scheduled for November 4.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Bosnian Army Ex-Soldiers Jailed for Beating Prisoners
Former Bosnian Army soldiers Muhko and Safet Velagic were found guilty of committing war crimes against prisoners of war in the Bugojno area in July 1993. The Cantonal Court in Novi Travnik sentenced Muhko Velagic was sentenced to seven years in prison and Safet Velagic to six years for war crimes against prisoners of war.
Bosnian Serb Policeman Jailed for Shooting Civilian
Former policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic was sentenced to three years in prison for shooting a civilian dead in the Ribnik area in August 1992. The District Court in Banja Luka on Tuesday convicted ex-policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic of committing crimes against the civilian population in the Ribnik area.
Policeman Convicted of Murdering Bosniak Brothers, Sister
Bosnian Serb Soldier Acquitted of Sokolac Beating
Bosnian Serb Soldier Jailed for Prisoners’ Beating, Murder
Bosnian Boxing Star Acquitted of Wartime Crimes