Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Prior to today’s decision, cantonal prosecutor Ahmed Mesic said the Bosnian state court had previously declared that the territorially competent court should handle the case.

“This isn’t a complex case that should be processed by the Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina,” Mesic said.

Muhko and Safet Velagic have been charged with war crimes committed in Bugojno. They have been charged with committing war crimes against prisoners of war in late July 1993.

Muhko Velagic’s defense didn’t object to the jurisdiction of the cantonal court of Novi Travnik, acceding to prosecutor Mesic’s stand.

Safet Velagic’s defense didn’t want to express its opinion regarding the jurisdiction of the case.

“The prosecution has not prepared for the proceedings in a serious and timely manner, thus misleading both the court and defense,” defense attorney Adil Lozo said.

Following a brief discussion, the trial chamber, chaired by Mehmedalija Huseinovic, came to its decision and declared the court not competent for the case.

According to the State Strategy for Processing War Crime Cases, decisions on the referral of cases to entity judicial bodies are made by either the Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina or the Prosecution of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Bosnian Army Ex-Soldiers Jailed for Beating Prisoners
Former Bosnian Army soldiers Muhko and Safet Velagic were found guilty of committing war crimes against prisoners of war in the Bugojno area in July 1993. The Cantonal Court in Novi Travnik sentenced Muhko Velagic was sentenced to seven years in prison and Safet Velagic to six years for war crimes against prisoners of war.
Bosnian Serb Policeman Jailed for Shooting Civilian
Former policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic was sentenced to three years in prison for shooting a civilian dead in the Ribnik area in August 1992. The District Court in Banja Luka on Tuesday convicted ex-policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic of committing crimes against the civilian population in the Ribnik area.
Policeman Convicted of Murdering Bosniak Brothers, Sister
Bosnian Serb Soldier Acquitted of Sokolac Beating
Bosnian Serb Soldier Jailed for Prisoners’ Beating, Murder
Bosnian Boxing Star Acquitted of Wartime Crimes