Friday, 4 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

The defense requested that the verdict be revoked and a retrial held. It also proposed that a shorter sentence be handed down if the court found the defendant guilty.

In November 2015, the cantonal court of Bihac sentenced Slavko Stricevic to ten years in prison for crimes committed in the Bosanski Petrovac area in 1992. Stricevic, a former member of reserve forces with the Republika Srpska police, was found guilty of the inhumane treatment of prisoners of war and the murder of two prisoners of war.

Defense attorney Jovo Pilipovic said the court hadn’t offered valid reasons with regards to the existence of an armed conflict between the Bosnian Army (ABiH) and the Bosnian Serb Army (VRS).

“The first instance verdict states that an armed conflict existed in Bosanski Petrovac during that period, although only a state of emergency had been declared at that time. Witness Selimovic confirmed this during his testimony. He explicitly said he did not notice sentries, checkpoints or VRS personnel anywhere,” Pilipovic said.

In his appeal, Pilipovic also said the first instance chamber hadn’t determined the status of prisoners of war, as they didn’t have markings on their clothing. Pilipovic said Stricevic’s awareness of the status of the captives also hadn’t been determined, as he arrived two hours after their departure.

State prosecutor Munib Halilovic said he stuck by his response to an appeal filed by the cantonal prosecution in Bihac, which he described as “well-argued and founded.”

“I propose that the defense’s appeal be rejected as unfounded and the first instance verdict pronounced by the cantonal court of Bihac confirmed,” Halilovic said.

The Supreme Court will render a decision at a later stage.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Bosnian Army Ex-Soldiers Jailed for Beating Prisoners
Former Bosnian Army soldiers Muhko and Safet Velagic were found guilty of committing war crimes against prisoners of war in the Bugojno area in July 1993. The Cantonal Court in Novi Travnik sentenced Muhko Velagic was sentenced to seven years in prison and Safet Velagic to six years for war crimes against prisoners of war.
Bosnian Serb Policeman Jailed for Shooting Civilian
Former policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic was sentenced to three years in prison for shooting a civilian dead in the Ribnik area in August 1992. The District Court in Banja Luka on Tuesday convicted ex-policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic of committing crimes against the civilian population in the Ribnik area.
Policeman Convicted of Murdering Bosniak Brothers, Sister
Bosnian Serb Soldier Acquitted of Sokolac Beating
Bosnian Serb Soldier Jailed for Prisoners’ Beating, Murder
Bosnian Boxing Star Acquitted of Wartime Crimes