Saturday, 21 february 2026.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

A decision signed by Registrar John Hocking says that the indictee and his wife Ljiljana own a family house, that his wife had been a co-owner of a private business and realties in Pale until March this year and that she receives a monthly pension.

The investigation determined the amount of money at the disposal of the Karadzic family. After that an estimated cost of living for the indictee, his wife and other persons dependant on the family income was deducted from that amount. On the basis of that the Registrar determined that Karadzic could allocate 146,501 euros (about 300,000 KM) for his defence.

As BIRN was told by the Information Section of the Registry of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, ICTY, Karadzic will not have to pay the mentioned amount, but the amount will be deducted from the total amount refunded by The Hague Tribunal, representing the costs of his defence.

ICTY Spokesperson Magdalena Spalinska told BIRN that The Hague Tribunal rendered a decision approving the refunding of costs of Karadzic’s defence, prior to the beginning of the trial, but the total amount that would be refunded to the indictee was still not known.

Karadzic, former President of Republika Srpska and supreme Commander of its armed forces, is representing himself at the trial for genocide, crimes against humanity and violation of the laws and customs of war in Bosnia and Herzegovina in the period from 1992 to 1995.

The Hague Prosecution charges Karadzic, among other things, with genocide in Srebrenica, persecution of Bosniaks and Croats from municipalities controlled by Bosnian Serbs, a shelling and sniping campaign in Sarajevo and taking international soldiers hostage.

The trial of Karadzic began in October 2009. Following a two-year presentation of evidence by the Prosecution, Karadzic’s Defence is due to begin presenting evidence on October 16 this year.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Sudinica u sudu u Kišinjevu u Moldaviji izriče presudu učesnicima kampova u Moldaviji. Foto: Detektor
Moldova Convicts Three of Attending Subversion Camps in Bosnia, Serbia
A court in Chinsinau convicted three Moldovan citizens of participating in Russian-led training camps in Bosnia and Serbia in 2024 in order to incite unrest and disrupt elections at home.
Bosnian History Teachers Visit Former Camps in Brcko and Learn How to Teach About War
To help school teachers learn more about how to teach students about the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina, a group of teachers from several towns and cities visited detention camps in a former elementary school in Brcko.
BIRN BiH Joins in Presenting Database of Facts About War and Handbook for Teachers
BIRN BiH Presents Database and Film on Wartime Missing Children
BIRN BiH Director Wins ‘Goran Bubalo’ Peace Award