Wednesday, 19 august 2026.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Under the indictment, Karadzic is charged with having ordered, planned and assisted in the taking of UN observers hostage on May 25 and 26, 1995. It is alleged that these people were taken hostage with the aim of preventing NATO from conducting air strikes on Serb positions.

The Trial Chamber sitting in Karadzic case previously rejected a request filed by the indictee, who wanted to be acquitted of this count, saying that members of the UN became members of a protected group by being arrested. However, this Chamber allowed Karadzic to file an appeal with the Appellate Chamber.

However, in his motion Karadzic said that members of the UN became “enemies to Serb forces” by bombarding the ammunition warehouse in Pale on May 25 and 26, 1995, adding that the VRS forces captured around 200 members of international forces after the attack.

Karadzic further says that the UN members were therefore not hostages, but prisoners of war, considering the fact that, as he said, they “entered into the military conflict and took the Muslims’ side”.

“Saying that the UN members became members of a protected group of people by being arrested would be the same as saying that a soldier, who was shot and killed in combat, became a member of a protected group by collapsing,” the indictee explained.

Karadzic, former President and Supreme Commander of Republika Srpska armed forces, is charged with genocide, crimes against humanity and violation of the laws and customs of war in Bosnia and Herzegovina in the period from 1992 to 1995.

In late June the Trial Chamber partially accepted his request for acquittal following the completion of the presentation of evidence by The Hague Prosecution.

The Chamber ruled that prosecutors had presented sufficient evidence to determine Karadzic’s guilt on ten counts contained in the indictment, including the count related to taking international personnel hostage. At the same time it ruled that there was not enough evidence to support the first count referring to genocide in seven municipalities in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

The Hague Prosecution filed an appeal against the part of the Trial Chamber’s decision, which dismissed the first count contained in the indictment.

The Defence is due to begin presenting evidence in October this year.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Srebrenica Anniversary Exhibitions Return to New York
Two exhibitions on the 1995 genocide first presented in 2025 will reopen together this July at UN headquarters.
Exhibition Offers Insight into Everyday Life Inside Besieged Srebrenica
Marking the annual genocide commemoration, the Srebrenica Memorial Centre opened an exhibition entitled ‘Facing Srebrenica: Views from the Besieged City’, featuring photographs that show how people lived inside the besieged enclave during wartime.
BIRN BiH and Faculty of Criminalistics Sign Cooperation Agreement