Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

The court found that Buza controlled a military unit whose members carried out an attack on the Bosnian village of Uzdol in early morning of September 14, 1993, when 27 Croat civilians, the youngest of whom was just ten years old, were killed in a “cruel and brutal manner”.

“It has been established that units of the Independent Battalion under Buza’s control, as well as some members of the police force, who were also under the defendant’s control, carried out the attack… The chamber can only conclude that the victims were civilians who were not taking part in combat activities,” said presiding judge Zeljka Marenic.

The court found that Buza was adequately informed about the crime, which obliged him to conduct a thorough investigation, but that it was apparent from the evidence that this was not done, and that the intention was to cover up the crime.

“The evidence implies that the defendant gave no written or oral order to his assistant to conduct an investigation, and no statements were taken from those involved. The chamber determined that there was obstruction on the part of Buza, because he turned a blind eye to the issue of an investigation,” the verdict said.

Judge Marenic said that on the basis of the evidence, it was established that there was no shooting from inside the houses in the village. Most of the victims were shot at close range, among them three children.

“The chamber determined that Buza had information that enabled him to know that crimes against civilians had been committed. It is apparent from a number of documents that the murders of the civilians could not have remained unknown,” Marenic said.

The verdict can be appealed.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Local Wartime Security Chief Acquitted of Rape Charges in Bosnia
Bosnia's state court ruled that Andrija Bjelosevic was not guilty of the multiple rape of a Bosniak woman in Derventa during the 1990s war, questioning the reliability of her testimony.
Bosnian Serb Ex-Soldier Convicted of Forced Disappearances
The Bosnian state court convicted wartime Bosnian Serb Army soldier Zoran Ilic of the forced disappearances of 16 Bosniak civilians who were seized by troops near Rogatica in June 1992.
Bosnian Serb Ex-Soldiers Plead Not Guilty to Aiding Genocide
Seven Bosnian Army Ex-Troops Convicted of Wartime Prisoner Abuse
Bosnia Convicts Serb Ex-Fighter of Raping Woman Prisoner