Monday, 18 may 2026.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

“My health continues to fail. I am not a doctor, so I do not know what is causing that,” Ratko Mladic told a status conference at the Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals in The Hague on Monday.

The 75-year-old former Bosnian Serb Army commander said however that medical documents provided by staff at the UN Detention Unit staff reiterated in that his condition was stable and unchanged.

Mladic has had several serious health problems while in detention and has suffered two strokes and one heart attack.

He has repeatedly complained about the medical treatment he has received in detention.

In May last year, his request for contempt of court proceedings against healthcare officers at the UN Detention Unit was rejected. Mladic’s defence claimed that they they were responsible for the deterioration of the defendant’s health.

Prior to that, the former Bosnian Serb military chief’s lawyers have asked for the pronouncement of his verdict to be postponed, for doctors to punished and for Mladic to be released for treatment, insisting that he has not received adequate care at the Detention Unit and that he needed hospitalisation.

In November 2017, the UN court sentenced Mladic to life imprisonment, finding him guilty of genocide in Srebrenica, persecution of Bosniaks and Croats throughout Bosnia and Herzegovina, terrorising the population of Sarajevo and taking UN peacekeepers hostage.

Mladic was acquitted of genocide charges in six other Bosnian municipalities.

Both the defence and the prosecution are appealing.

Mladic has been held in detention since May 2011, when he was arrested in Serbia and sent to The Hague.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Detektor Journalist Wins International Fetisov Journalism Award
Detektor journalist Emina Dizdarevic Tahmiscija has received a 2025 international Fetisov Journalism Award for a series of articles on transitional justice in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Detektor Journalists and Moldovan Colleagues Nominated for Journalism Award for Investigating Russian Camps
Detektor journalists Irvin Pekmez, Enes Hodzic, and Nino Bilajac, alongside co-authors from Moldovan outlet CU SENS, have been nominated for a journalism award in Romania in the categories of investigative journalism and TV and video journalism.