Saturday, 5 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

The state prosecution has charged Dragan Marjanovic, Sasa Gavranovic, Vitomir Devic, Zoran Sljuk, Dragomir Kezunovic and Dario Slavuljica with taking 28 detained non-Serb civilians from a Teslic police station and the nearby Pribinic prison to Mount Borje on the night of June 17 and 18, 1992. There, the defendants allegedly killed them.

According to the charges, Marjanovic was the commander of the First Squad of the military police of the Teslicka Brigade of the Bosnian Serb Army. The other defendants were members of that squad as well as members of the “Mice” paramilitary formation.

At today’s hearing, prosecutor Dzermin Pasic presented statements given by the defendants. He said the statements were written on paper in July 1992, and were found in the apartment of Andrija Bjelosevic. Bjelosevic was previously arrested on suspicion of having committed war crimes in Teslic. Pasic didn’t specify whether all of the defendants wrote such statements.

The trial chamber partially accepted the “Mice” file, which the state prosecution had obtained from the Hague Tribunal. The file contains evidence collected during proceedings conducted in Teslic during the war. It included the statements of the defendants.

Marjanovic’s defense attorney, Milan Romanic, said his client’s statement was not in the file.

Trial chamber chair Vesna Jesenkovic said she would admit the evidence, only in the context of a criminal proceeding which was previously conducted against the paramilitary formation.

“Not in the context of the content of individual statements,” Jesenkovic explained.

The trial chamber refused to accept statements given by witnesses at the Hague Tribunal. Jesenkovic told Pasic he could examine the witnesses later on during the trial and read statements given by those who had died in the meantime.

The trial will continue on December 17. Marjanovic’s defense will begin presenting evidence at the next hearing.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Detektor Journalist Wins First Prize at ‘Remembering Through Art’ Exhibition
A testimony by Srebrenica mother Emina Hajdarevic about the son she lost in the 1995 Srebrenica genocide, filmed by Detektor journalist Lamija Grebo, has won first prize at the Remembering through Art online exhibition.
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnia Indicts Five Serb Ex-Military Policemen for Genocide
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children