Saturday, 5 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Djonko, a witness for the Mostar cantonal prosecution, said he was a member of the Territorial Defense and was assigned his weapons and uniform in Medjugorje. He said he knew the defendant, but Turajlic was not a member of his unit when they crossed to the left river bank of the Neretva.

“The unit I belonged to didn’t conduct combat activities. Our task was to guard the road between Domanovici and Capljina. When we crossed to the left side of the Neretva, we headed towards an elementary school in Pocitelj. Fire was opened at us. We managed to reach the road which leads to Domanovici and passed by the houses of the Veledar family. Ekrem Veledar was the commander of our squad. We returned in the afternoon on the following day. At that moment, I saw three corpses, including that of Mico Zelenika, on the side of the road in front of the school,” Djonko said.

He said that all three corpses were lying next to each other. He noticed Zelenika’s trousers were torn and he had a bandage on his thigh. He also saw blood on the two other bodies.

“All three of them were lying on their backs. I noticed that Mico’s trousers were torn and that he had a wound that had been dressed. I did not notice any other injuries. I heard later on, as soldiers gossiped about it, that a soldier gave Mico a rifle barrel to help him. Then somebody ran towards them and shot him,” Djonko said.

Ibro Turajlic has been charged with killing prisoner of war Mitar Zelenika in the area of Pocitelj in 1992. Zelenika had been wounded and offered medical assistance prior to his murder.

The trial will continue on May 13.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Bosnian Army Ex-Soldiers Jailed for Beating Prisoners
Former Bosnian Army soldiers Muhko and Safet Velagic were found guilty of committing war crimes against prisoners of war in the Bugojno area in July 1993. The Cantonal Court in Novi Travnik sentenced Muhko Velagic was sentenced to seven years in prison and Safet Velagic to six years for war crimes against prisoners of war.
Bosnian Serb Policeman Jailed for Shooting Civilian
Former policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic was sentenced to three years in prison for shooting a civilian dead in the Ribnik area in August 1992. The District Court in Banja Luka on Tuesday convicted ex-policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic of committing crimes against the civilian population in the Ribnik area.
Policeman Convicted of Murdering Bosniak Brothers, Sister
Bosnian Serb Soldier Acquitted of Sokolac Beating
Bosnian Serb Soldier Jailed for Prisoners’ Beating, Murder
Bosnian Boxing Star Acquitted of Wartime Crimes