Tuesday, 17 february 2026.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

At status conferences held in late April and on May 3 this year, the Defence of Mladic, former Commander of the Main Headquarters with the Republika Srpska Army, VRS, requested the Tribunal to let it have an additional 90 days for trial preparations and postpone the beginning of the trial, originally set for May 16 this year.

However, Alphons Orie, Chairman of the Trial Chamber with the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, ICTY, declined two requests by Mladic’s Defence. As Orie said in his decision, the ICTY Chamber will announce its reasons for rejecting the requests at a later stage.

At the status conference held in late April this year Branko Lukic, the Defence attorney of Mladic, said that The Hague Prosecution was late in fulfilling its obligation to disclose its evidence to the Defence, violating “the substantial element of a fair trial”.

The ICTY Prosecution promised that it would submit all pieces of evidence. During the status conference held on May 3 this year it was said that the Defence had received all pieces of evidence in the meantime, but Defence attorney Lukic pointed out that the trial should still be postponed, because it was not possible to review all the pieces of evidence in such a short period of time.

Mladic is charged with genocide, crimes against humanity and violation of the laws and customs of war committed in Bosnia and Herzegovina in the period from 1992 to 1995. He was arrested in May last year. His initial appearance before ICTY judges took place on June 3, 2011.

Hague Tribunal judges decided that the trial of Mladic would begin with presentation of introductory statements on May 16 this year.
D.Dz.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Sudinica u sudu u Kišinjevu u Moldaviji izriče presudu učesnicima kampova u Moldaviji. Foto: Detektor
Moldova Convicts Three of Attending Subversion Camps in Bosnia, Serbia
A court in Chinsinau convicted three Moldovan citizens of participating in Russian-led training camps in Bosnia and Serbia in 2024 in order to incite unrest and disrupt elections at home.
Bosnian History Teachers Visit Former Camps in Brcko and Learn How to Teach About War
To help school teachers learn more about how to teach students about the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina, a group of teachers from several towns and cities visited detention camps in a former elementary school in Brcko.
BIRN BiH Joins in Presenting Database of Facts About War and Handbook for Teachers
BIRN BiH Presents Database and Film on Wartime Missing Children
BIRN BiH Director Wins ‘Goran Bubalo’ Peace Award