Saturday, 5 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Zijad Hamzic, Safet Mujcinovic, Ramiz Halilovic, Selman Busnov, Nusret Muhic, Nedzad Hodzic, Osman Gogic and Kahro Vejzovic are on trial for war crimes in the Kladanj area. The defendants are former members of the civil police, the military police and the Territorial Defense. They’ve been charged with the unlawful detention, assault and inhumane treatment of Serb civilians in Stupari.

According to the indictment, Mujcinovic, Hamzic and Halilovic unlawfully arrested and confiscated weapons from local Serb civilians. The indictment further alleges that Hamzic hit some of the civilians while threatening them.

According to the indictment, Hamzic was the commander of the Territorial Defense Company in Stupari. Halilovic was the commander of the military police section in Stupari. Mujcinovic was the commander of the police station in Stupari.

Safet Tokalic, a former member of the military police, testified at today’s hearing. Tokalic said Ramiz Halilovic ordered him and a few other military police officers to protect the residents of Lupoglavo, because the Territorial Defense had previously entered the village.

Tokalic said he went to the village with Zijad Hamzic, Ramiz Halilovic and Safet Mujcinovic. According to Tokalic, Hamzic asked local residents if anything bad had happened to them.

“He went there to see whether Territorial Defense members had harmed them,” Tokalic said. He said no one harmed the civilians.

Tokalic said Hamzic was in the village for half an hour and then left. He said Halilovic also stayed for only a brief period of time. Prosecutor Vedrana Mijovic asked Tokalic what Hamzic’s role was. Tokalic said he didn’t know, and suggested that Mijovic asked Hamzic directly.

Tokalic said military police officers, Safet Mujcinovic and another police officer stayed behind in the village. He said Serb civilians asked Mujcinovic not to leave them, because they didn’t feel safe. He said he didn’t hear Mujcinovic’s response, and said the civilians got on trucks and headed towards Stupari.

Salih Vejzovic, also testifying in Hamzic’s defense, said he was with Mujcinovic when he received an order to go to Lupoglavo. Vejzovic said when they reached the village, they saw several military police officers and their trucks. He said he noticed Hamzic came after them and stayed there for about half an hour.

Vejzovic said local Serbs started getting on trucks, he said they were most probably told to do so. They were transported to the school building in Stupari and then were transferring to educational workers’ buildings nearby.

The trial will continue on November 6, when Halilovic’s defense will begin presenting its evidence.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Detektor Journalist Wins First Prize at ‘Remembering Through Art’ Exhibition
A testimony by Srebrenica mother Emina Hajdarevic about the son she lost in the 1995 Srebrenica genocide, filmed by Detektor journalist Lamija Grebo, has won first prize at the Remembering through Art online exhibition.
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnia Indicts Five Serb Ex-Military Policemen for Genocide
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children