Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

The court on Monday ordered the prosecution witness codenamed S-4 to pay a fine of 20,000 Bosnian marks (10,000 euro) after he rejected additional protection measures and refused to take the stand at Sekaric’s trial, alleging intimidation.

“The trial chamber examined this witness, who said that his safety and the safety of his family were compromised, which is the reason he does not want to testify,” said presiding judge Mira Smajlovic.

She said that trial chamber offered additional protection – offering the witness the opportunity to testify from another room, to remove the defendant from the courtroom, to protect his identity and to exclude the public from the hearing. But S-4 still refused to testify because he said he was afraid.

The prosecution submitted evidence that the witness had been attacked during the summer. An investigation is ongoing and the suspected has been identified, the prosecutor said.

However the court concluded that the reasons the witness gave for not testifying were inadequate.

“The trial chamber decided to fine this witness 20,000 marks. We will see after the decision is delivered whether he will testify,” Smajlovic said.

The defence said meanwhile that the attack on the witness had nothing to do with the defendant Sekaric.

“An impression has been created that this was done by my client, which is not true,” said defence lawyer Borislav Jamina.

“My client was close friends with the man until recently. Those are pure fabrications,” she added.

Sekaric, a former member of the Territorial Defence forces and the ‘Osvetnik’ (‘Avenger’) paramilitary group, is charged with participating in the attack on the village Lozje in the municipality of Gorazde, as well as for murders, rapes and abuse of non-Serbs in Visegrad.

The trial continues on September 15.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
The Bosnian state prosecution charged seven former Croatian Defence Council military policemen and civilian police officers with unlawfully detaining and assaulting dozens of Bosniaks in the Zepce area in 1993 and 1994.
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children