Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Four former Bosnian Serb Army soldiers urged the state court in Sarajevo to acquit them of the murders of 28 Bosniak and Croat civilians in the village of Oborci in central Bosnia in September 1995.

In closing statements at the Bosnian state court, lawyers for former soldiers Branko Cigoja, Zeljko Todic, Sasa Boskic and Milorad Glamocak insisted they were not guilty and should be cleared of the killings of the 28 Bosniak and Croat civilians in Oborci, near the town of Donji Vakuf, on September 13, 1995.

According to the charges, Glamocak was the commander of the Reconnaissance Squad of the Mrkonjicka Brigade of the Bosnian Serb Army, while the other defendants were members of the squad.

The prosecution has claimed that Cigoja, Todic and Boskic committed the murders with direct premeditation, while Glamocak, as their commander, failed to prevent them from committing the crime. It has demanded maximum sentences for all four men.

Glamocak’s lawyer said on Wednesday that two witnesses who gave testimony against his client were mistaken or lying, and that Glamocak was not guilty.

“These two witnesses either don’t know what happened and they made it up or someone else made testimonies for them,” said lawyer Slobodan Peric.

Boskic’s lawyer said at a previous hearing on March 4 that the prosecution had not proved the allegations in the indictment and insisted that a key witness had not incriminated his client.

“The witness did not state that my client participated , and nor did any of the accused,” said lawyer Petko Pavlovic.

Todic’s lawyer also said on February 26 that the prosecution had not proved its claims.

“Members of the Reconnaissance Squad… did not participate in taking away, nor in the killings,” said lawyer Zoran Kisin.

Cigoja’s lawyer argued on February 19 that the Reconnaissance Squad had already left the village by the time the victims were killed.

The verdict will be handed down on April 10.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Local Wartime Security Chief Acquitted of Rape Charges in Bosnia
Bosnia's state court ruled that Andrija Bjelosevic was not guilty of the multiple rape of a Bosniak woman in Derventa during the 1990s war, questioning the reliability of her testimony.
Bosnian Serb Ex-Soldier Convicted of Forced Disappearances
The Bosnian state court convicted wartime Bosnian Serb Army soldier Zoran Ilic of the forced disappearances of 16 Bosniak civilians who were seized by troops near Rogatica in June 1992.
Bosnian Serb Ex-Soldiers Plead Not Guilty to Aiding Genocide
Seven Bosnian Army Ex-Troops Convicted of Wartime Prisoner Abuse
Bosnia Convicts Serb Ex-Fighter of Raping Woman Prisoner