Saturday, 5 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Djoko Pajic, Petar Dmitrovic, Djordje Krstic and Ljubomir Misic have been charged with the abuse of detainees in 1992 and 1993.

The defendants performed the functions of manager, deputy manager, and guard commander at a detention camp in Batkovic.

Prosecution witness and former Batkovic prisoner Faruk Brodlic testified at today’s hearing. Brodlic told the district court of Bijeljina that he was beaten once during his four months of imprisonment in the detention camp managed by the defendants. He said some of the detainees died as a result of severe beatings.

“Two detainees fled. After that all of us had to sit down in the hangar and bow our heads. Soldiers then began beating our backs. I was hit in the back twice. The third blow was close to my neck, so I felt like I was starting to lose consciousness. The fourth blow was in the lower back area, so I didn’t end up fainting,” Brodlic said.

Brodlic said about 1000 detainees were in the hangar and all of them were beaten in this way.

Brodlic said some detainees were mistreated much more often and more brutally than the others, almost every day, and some died due as a result.

“I remember they carried a man known as Mesar out of the hangar in the morning, because he was dead. They had brought him in the night before. The man had been moaning the whole night,” Brodlic said. He said he didn’t know who beat and abused the detainees.

Brodlic did not recognize any of the defendants.

Fadil Lokmic, another witness for the prosecution, also said detainees were beaten and mistreated in the Batkovic detention camp. He said he didn’t want to discuss any details or names.

He said he was afraid of putting himself in danger, because he lives in Republika Srpska.

“The distance between Bijeljina and Osmaci is within the range of a good rifle, let alone something else,” Lokmic said.

The trial will continue on December 28.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Bosnian Army Ex-Soldiers Jailed for Beating Prisoners
Former Bosnian Army soldiers Muhko and Safet Velagic were found guilty of committing war crimes against prisoners of war in the Bugojno area in July 1993. The Cantonal Court in Novi Travnik sentenced Muhko Velagic was sentenced to seven years in prison and Safet Velagic to six years for war crimes against prisoners of war.
Bosnian Serb Policeman Jailed for Shooting Civilian
Former policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic was sentenced to three years in prison for shooting a civilian dead in the Ribnik area in August 1992. The District Court in Banja Luka on Tuesday convicted ex-policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic of committing crimes against the civilian population in the Ribnik area.
Policeman Convicted of Murdering Bosniak Brothers, Sister
Bosnian Serb Soldier Acquitted of Sokolac Beating
Bosnian Serb Soldier Jailed for Prisoners’ Beating, Murder
Bosnian Boxing Star Acquitted of Wartime Crimes