Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Brestovac, a former member of the public safety station in Doboj, has been charged with participating in the murder of civilians Muharem, Muhamed and Ismeta Aldobasic in June 1992. He was allegedly accompanied by Cvjetko Sarcevic, who has since deceased.

Addressing the trial chamber, Brestovac said he didn’t know Sarcevic, who is described as a co-perpetrator in the indictment.

Brestovac said he worked as a construction worker in Slovenia and Croatia until 1991, and was mobilized by police in Doboj at the beginning of May 1992.

He said he was ordered to man a police checkpoint in Miljkovac for five days. He said the checkpoint was located in the vicinity of Muharem Aldobasic’s house, where he lived with his wife, Petra.

“I didn’t work night shifts in Miljkovac. Since I didn’t work night shifts, I wasn’t in Miljkovac on the night of June 20. I was at the checkpoint on the following morning. When I came, I heard that a murder had taken place. Somebody at the checkpoint told me they had been killed. When I found out about the murder, I saw where the house was. A policeman came. I found out later on it was Marko Zecevic,” Brestovac said.

District prosecutor Snjezana Petrovic asked the defendant if he and Zecevic had gone to Muharem Aldobasic’s house on that day and saw his wife Petra in front of the house. Brestovac answered affirmatively.

Brestovac denied having carried a sniper rifle during the war.

“I had a semi-automatic and automatic rifle. I did not shoot from weapons,” Brestovac said.

The trial will continue on November 23.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Bosnian Army Ex-Soldiers Jailed for Beating Prisoners
Former Bosnian Army soldiers Muhko and Safet Velagic were found guilty of committing war crimes against prisoners of war in the Bugojno area in July 1993. The Cantonal Court in Novi Travnik sentenced Muhko Velagic was sentenced to seven years in prison and Safet Velagic to six years for war crimes against prisoners of war.
Bosnian Serb Policeman Jailed for Shooting Civilian
Former policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic was sentenced to three years in prison for shooting a civilian dead in the Ribnik area in August 1992. The District Court in Banja Luka on Tuesday convicted ex-policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic of committing crimes against the civilian population in the Ribnik area.
Policeman Convicted of Murdering Bosniak Brothers, Sister
Bosnian Serb Soldier Acquitted of Sokolac Beating
Bosnian Serb Soldier Jailed for Prisoners’ Beating, Murder
Bosnian Boxing Star Acquitted of Wartime Crimes