Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Brestovac, a former member of the public safety station in Doboj, has been charged with participating in the murder of civilians Muharem, Muhamed and Ismeta Aldobasic in June 1992. He was allegedly accompanied by Cvjetko Sarcevic, who has since deceased.

At today’s hearing, defense witness Maksim Starcevic told the district court of Doboj that he knew Petra Aldobasic, now deceased. He said she told him her husband, Muharem, had been killed in front of his house in Doboj.

“We talked about it. What she said was imprecise. At first she said the army had done it, but then she said it had been done by the police. She mentioned Sarcevic and Marko Zec. She never mentioned Vojo’s name,” Starcevic said.

Defense witness Milan Brestovac, the defendant’s nephew, said his uncle was a construction worker who worked in Croatia and Slovenia. He said he was mobilized by the police at the beginning of the war and was deployed to police checkpoints.

“The checkpoints were set in front of the hospital and the Orthodox church in the Bare neighbourhood. There were many of them in Doboj. He didn’t work at the checkpoints at night, because he had to take care of two small children,“ Brestovac said.

Brestovac was unable to respond to questions from the trial chamber on whether the defendant was sent to other checkpoints and whether he was assigned a sniper.

Defense witness Manojlo Stojcinovic also said the defendant became a member of the police after the mobilization. He also described Cvjetko Sarcevic as “an aggressive and hot-tempered man.”

The trial will continue on November 19.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Bosnian Army Ex-Soldiers Jailed for Beating Prisoners
Former Bosnian Army soldiers Muhko and Safet Velagic were found guilty of committing war crimes against prisoners of war in the Bugojno area in July 1993. The Cantonal Court in Novi Travnik sentenced Muhko Velagic was sentenced to seven years in prison and Safet Velagic to six years for war crimes against prisoners of war.
Bosnian Serb Policeman Jailed for Shooting Civilian
Former policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic was sentenced to three years in prison for shooting a civilian dead in the Ribnik area in August 1992. The District Court in Banja Luka on Tuesday convicted ex-policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic of committing crimes against the civilian population in the Ribnik area.
Policeman Convicted of Murdering Bosniak Brothers, Sister
Bosnian Serb Soldier Acquitted of Sokolac Beating
Bosnian Serb Soldier Jailed for Prisoners’ Beating, Murder
Bosnian Boxing Star Acquitted of Wartime Crimes