Uncategorized @bs

Witness Describes Seeing Vehicles and Dead Body Near Kukavice

3. November 2015.00:00
A state prosecution witness testifying at the trial of four former members of the Bosnian Army said he saw a military truck, two vehicles and a dead body on the road near the village of Kukavice in the summer of 1992. The defendants have been charged with war crimes in Rogatica.

This post is also available in: Bosnian (Bosnian)

Muhamed Sisic, Emir Drakovac, Aziz Susa and Tarik Sisic are on trial for having participated in an attack on a convoy in the village of Kukavice on August 27, 1992, when at least 20 Serbs got killed and several tens were wounded.

According to the charges, Muhamed Sisic was the commander of the Commando Squad of so-called Kukavicka Company of the Bosnian Army, while the other defendants were members of that unit.

State prosecution witness Ferid Jahic testified at today’s hearing. Jahic said he heard about a shooting in Kukavice in the summer 1992. He said he went to the village to get his wife’s personal belongings.

“I was afraid that someone was following me. On my way back from Kukavice, I saw a car parked on the road. I didn’t know whose car it was…I got into my car, started it and headed towards Gorazde. While I was driving, I saw a military truck covered with an awning and two smaller vehicles parked nearby. I saw a man’s body, but I don’t know if he was dead,” Jahic said.

Jahic said he heard about the attack on Kukavice from the military.

“However, everybody was telling their own version of the story,” Jahic said.

Jahic began testifying on October 27, 2015. At the last hearing, he said he heard about a shooting in Kukavice.

Prosecutor Mirza Hukeljic then presented Jahic with a statement he had previously given. In that statement, he said he heard that members of the Bosnian Army had gone to Kukavice to get food. He went on to say that they came across a convoy led by a transporter and thought Bosnian Serb forces were conducting an attack. Then, they attacked the convoy. In the statement, Jahic said he heard that several members of his unit participated in the attack.

Responding to questions from the defense, Jahic said he was in Kukavice from August 15 to 17, 1992. He said the village was abandoned at the beginning of July 1992.

The trial will continue on November 17.

Emina Dizdarević


This post is also available in: Bosnian (Bosnian)