Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Relota, a former member of the Nikola Subic Zrinjski Brigade of the Croatian Defense Council, was found guilty of opening fire on four civilians in a house in the Luka settlement in late January, 1993. Relota was allegedly accompanied by two other soldiers. After having left the house, Relota and the other perpetrators threw an explosive device at the civilians. Three Bosniak civilians were killed, while a protected witness known as B-1 managed to survive.
 
Trial chamber chair Mehmedalija Huseinovic said the verdict was based on B-1’s testimony and other statements that confirmed his story.
 
“It is undisputedly concluded that the eyewitness provided essential elements of testimony, identical to those presented at the Hague in 1998. Bearing in mind the quality of this evidence, the trial chamber believes the decision should be based upon it,” Huseinovic said.

He said the defense wasn’t convincing in its attempt to demonstrate that the identify of the perpetrator had been mistaken and that Relota had been on the frontline in Donje Polje during his alleged crimes.
 
Huseinovic said B-1 clearly and precisely identified Relota. He said the testimony of Relota’s brother was unreliable.
 
“Three people were killed, and the intent is undeniable. A sentence of 11 years is appropriate bearing in mind the court’s practice,” Huseinovic said.
 
Both parties have the right to appeal the verdict before the Supreme Court of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Bosnian Army Ex-Soldiers Jailed for Beating Prisoners
Former Bosnian Army soldiers Muhko and Safet Velagic were found guilty of committing war crimes against prisoners of war in the Bugojno area in July 1993. The Cantonal Court in Novi Travnik sentenced Muhko Velagic was sentenced to seven years in prison and Safet Velagic to six years for war crimes against prisoners of war.
Bosnian Serb Policeman Jailed for Shooting Civilian
Former policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic was sentenced to three years in prison for shooting a civilian dead in the Ribnik area in August 1992. The District Court in Banja Luka on Tuesday convicted ex-policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic of committing crimes against the civilian population in the Ribnik area.
Policeman Convicted of Murdering Bosniak Brothers, Sister
Bosnian Serb Soldier Acquitted of Sokolac Beating
Bosnian Serb Soldier Jailed for Prisoners’ Beating, Murder
Bosnian Boxing Star Acquitted of Wartime Crimes