Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Josip Relota, a former member of the Croatian Defense Council in Busovaca, has been charged with participating in the murder of three civilians along with two other soldiers on the night of January 26 or 27, 1993. They allegedly killed the civilians inside a house and threw a bomb into the house before leaving the crime scene, the indictment alleges.

Ferida Kuric told the court that she met Zoran Relota, Josip Relota’s brother, in Busovaca after the breakout of conflict between the Croatian Defense Council and Bosnian Army.

“I heard that a member of Relota family killed the brother or brother-in-law of one of our drivers, so I told Zoran Relota that they’d come and they were looking for him because of that. He told me he would be too ashamed to come to Zenica if he’d done something like that. I couldn’t associate such a thing with any of our workers and there were three Relotas working for our company,” Kuric said.

During cross-examination, Kuric said the initial information she received indicated that Zoran Relota was the perpetrator, but said she later heard it was another member of the Relota family.

Zoran Relota testified for the cantonal prosecution at this hearing. He said he returned to work at Zenicatrans in Zenica immediately after the end of the conflict between the Bosnian Army and the Croatian Defense Council.

“All the people greeted each other, but they turned away from me. Mrs. Kuric then warned me that they were looking for me because of some murder. I knew the people who’d been killed. If I’d been present, I would have certainly tried to help,” Zoran Relota said.

Salem Ekmescic said Zoran Relota protected him and his family, and said he didn’t know Josip Relota.

Ivica Vidovic said that in his capacity as a policeman, he went to the house where the civilians had been killed a few days later.

“I peeked into the house and saw bloody walls and upturned furniture, but the bodies were no longer there. I don’t know whether the police conducted any investigation,” Vidovic said.

The trial will continue on June 25.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Bosnian Army Ex-Soldiers Jailed for Beating Prisoners
Former Bosnian Army soldiers Muhko and Safet Velagic were found guilty of committing war crimes against prisoners of war in the Bugojno area in July 1993. The Cantonal Court in Novi Travnik sentenced Muhko Velagic was sentenced to seven years in prison and Safet Velagic to six years for war crimes against prisoners of war.
Bosnian Serb Policeman Jailed for Shooting Civilian
Former policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic was sentenced to three years in prison for shooting a civilian dead in the Ribnik area in August 1992. The District Court in Banja Luka on Tuesday convicted ex-policeman Mladjen Vasiljevic of committing crimes against the civilian population in the Ribnik area.
Policeman Convicted of Murdering Bosniak Brothers, Sister
Bosnian Serb Soldier Acquitted of Sokolac Beating
Bosnian Serb Soldier Jailed for Prisoners’ Beating, Murder
Bosnian Boxing Star Acquitted of Wartime Crimes