Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

The Bosnian state court is expected to make a decision regarding the presentation of evidence in the Aleksandar Cvetkovic trial. The decision would bring an end to the presentation of evidence and would lead to the state prosecution’s closing statement.

Aleksandar Cvetkovic, a former member of the Tenth Commando Squad of the Bosnian Serb Army, has been charged with participating in the execution of approximately 900 men from Srebrenica in Branjevo, in the municipality of Zvornik, in July 1995.

The trial chamber decided that a video recording of testimony previously given by UN military observer Joseph Kingori would not be screened in the courtroom.

In November 2011, Kingori had testified against Franc Kos, Stanko Kojic, Vlastimir Golijan and Zoran Goronja, former members of the Tenth Commando Squad of the Bosnian Serb Army. They were sentenced to a total of 112 years in prison for the mass shooting of Srebrenica residents at the Branjevo military farm.

The Bosnian state prosecution had requested that Kingori’s previous testimony be screened at the Cvetkovic trial.

“I consider it unnecessary to hear the testimony, because I cross-examined the witness,” said defense attorney Petko Pavlovic. Pavlovic had examined Kingori in the Kos case, among others.

Cvetkovic’s other defense attorney, Milos Peric, said if he were to examine Kingori he would ask him whether he knew if military formations armed with heavy weapons had been active in the protected zone of Srebrenica.

“I would ask for his opinion as to whether each location from which fire was opened is considered a legitimate military target during war,” Peric said.

Trial chamber chairman Darko Samardzic said he would watch the testimony and inform the court as whether the presentation of evidence in this case could be considered complete. Pending the trial chamber’s decision, the presentation of the prosecution’s closing statement should begin on April 21.

The Aleksandar Cvetkovic trial began in November 2013.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
The Bosnian state prosecution charged seven former Croatian Defence Council military policemen and civilian police officers with unlawfully detaining and assaulting dozens of Bosniaks in the Zepce area in 1993 and 1994.
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children