Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Former Bosnian Serb military chief Mladic is on trial at the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia for his role in ordering the Srebrenica genocide and other crimes against civilians.

Former Bosnian Serb Army major Milenko Jevdjevic said on Thursday that Mladic held a meeting in Bratunac the day Srebrenica was taken. According to Jevdjevic, at this meeting Mladic “presented his idea that Drina Corps units attack Zepa on July 12.”

Jevdjevic said Vinko Pandurevic, former commander of the Zvornik Brigade of the Bosnian Serb Army, warned Mladic not to move most of his forces while the situation with the Bosnian Army’s 28th Division was still unclear. At that time, the Bosnian Army was trying to break through from Srebrenica to Tuzla.

Pandurevic was “afraid for Zvornik and his brigade,” said Jevdjevic.

Jevdjevic said that Mladic rejected Pandirevic’s warning at this meeting and had said, “No, no, tomorrow everyone attacks Zepa.”

Jevdjevic said that Mladic also ordered him to form a communication center near Zepa.

He said that one platoon was all that was left of Zvornik Brigade forces in the region. This remaining platoon had to face an entire Bosnian Army division of approximately 12,000-15,000 men, he said.

During cross examination, prosecutor Margaret Hassan claimed that the meeting with Mladic in Bratunac took place on July 12, and not July 11, 1995.

Jevdjevic, however, maintained that the meeting had been held on July 11, 1995. “I am sure it took place on July 11 at 10pm,” he said.

Mladic is charged by the ICTY with being responsible for the Srebrenica genocide. Mladic is accused of ordering the killing of approximately 7000 Bosniak men and boys from Srebrenica. The indictment alleges that the killings took place in the days that followed the occupation of the UN-protected enclave by Bosnian Serb forces on July 11, 1995.

Mladic is also on trial for the persecution of Bosniaks and Croats throughout Bosnia and Herzegovina, terrorising civilians in Sarajevo, and taking UN peacekeepers hostage.

Last month the ICTY sentenced Pandurevic to thirteen years in prison for his role in the Srebrenica genocide.

The trial continues on Monday.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
The Bosnian state prosecution charged seven former Croatian Defence Council military policemen and civilian police officers with unlawfully detaining and assaulting dozens of Bosniaks in the Zepce area in 1993 and 1994.
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children