This post is also available in: Bosnian (Bosnian)
Sajma Kostres told the Cantonal Court in Novi Travnik that she last saw her husband Aleksa on May 24, 1992.
“I went out to the balcony. I saw a red VW Golf, two soldiers in black uniforms and one in camouflage uniform. Bruno Saric was in the multi-colour, camouflage uniform. My neighbour Veber was with him. I did not know the third person. They said that they were taking Aleksa to an informative interview,” Kostres said.
The witness said that she particularly remembered the moment, when they took her husband towards the car and when her children ran after their father.
“I remember those eyes, because of the gun pointed towards my child.” Kostres said.
According to the witness’ testimony, her husband called her over the phone on the following day. She did not hear anything about him until May 2005, when his remains were found.
Bruno Saric, former member of the Croatian Defence Council, who was allegedly accompanied by HVO members Zoran Tuka and Srecko Veber, is charged with having taken Aleksa Kostres from his building on May 24, 1992. Kostres went missing without trace after that.
Testifying for the Cantonal Prosecution, Saima Alibegovic said that the family was in a very bad situation after Aleksa Kostres had been taken away.
Prior to the examination of the witnesses, Cantonal Prosecutor Ahmed Mesic read the indictment and announced that the Prosecution would invite six witnesses.
Defence attorney Miroslav Kozina said, presenting his introductory statement, that the indictment was “contradictory and generalised”.
“I am ready to undergo a polygraph test regarding the circumstances charged upon me,” indictee Saric said.
The trial is due to continue on December 17.