Friday, 21 august 2026.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Testifying at Radovan Karadzic’s trial at The Hague, first protected Defence witness says that, at the beginning of April 1992 Zvornik was attacked by Zeljko Raznatovic Arkan’s paramilitary formation and that Karadzic did not know about the attack in advance.

Witness KW-317, whose testimony indicates that he was an official of the Serbian Democratic Party, SDS, at that time, said that the local authorities did not invite Raznatovic’s unit to come.

The indictment alleges that the former President of Republika Srpska, RS, is charged with persecuting Muslims and Croats from 20 municipalities throughout Bosnia and Herzegovina, including Zvornik. According to the charges, Serb forces killed hundreds of men in that town and its surroundings and unlawfully detained, held in inhumane conditions, tortured, abused and persecuted civilians.

Karadzic’s witness said that, on the eve of the attack on Zvornik, Raznatovic called Serb officials, who were going to negotiations with Muslims, “betrayers”, adding that Raznatovic’s associate, known as Peja, “kicked and slapped” them.

The witness said that, following the occupation of Zvornik, “paramilitary units were the only authority in the town”. He said that they “arrested and attacked” people and organised “their own prisons”, adding that, “not only Muslims, but Serbs too” were afraid of them, but Muslims “could not seek protection from anyone”.

According to the witness’ testimony, local Serb officials managed to persuade Muslims from Kozluk not to leave, although they had already “packed” their things, but, as the military conflicts were getting closer and closer, they “decided to leave”, because “no authorities could guarantee their safety”.

KW-317 told the Tribunal that he personally informed Karadzic and Momcilo Krajisnik, President of the Bosnian Serbs’ Assembly, about those events and that Karadzic was “very disappointed”.

The witness said that Karadzic “condemned the separation and abuse” of the Muslim population.

He further said that the RS and Zvornik authorities had never advocated for the deportation of Muslims, adding that the relocation of the local population was caused by the war. 

Describing a meeting with Karadzic and RS Army Commander Ratko Mladic in Zvornik on June 13, 1992, KW-317 said that Mladic threatened that he would arrest members of all paramilitary formations, which failed to disarm or put themselves under the control of VRS. According to the witness’ testimony, at the meeting Karadzic insisted on the establishment of civil authorities.

Mladic is currently on trial before the Hague Tribunal.

The protected Defence witness pointed out that he had never considered that Karadzic favored the deportation of the non-Serb population or the shooting of prisoners of war.

Karadzic is also charged with genocide in Srebrenica, terror against civilians in Sarajevo by long-lasting shelling and sniping and taking UNPROFOR members hostage.

The trial of Karadzic is due to continue on June 6.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Srebrenica Anniversary Exhibitions Return to New York
Two exhibitions on the 1995 genocide first presented in 2025 will reopen together this July at UN headquarters.
Exhibition Offers Insight into Everyday Life Inside Besieged Srebrenica
Marking the annual genocide commemoration, the Srebrenica Memorial Centre opened an exhibition entitled ‘Facing Srebrenica: Views from the Besieged City’, featuring photographs that show how people lived inside the besieged enclave during wartime.
BIRN BiH and Faculty of Criminalistics Sign Cooperation Agreement