Tuesday, 17 february 2026.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Krstic could face up to seven years in prison, a 100,000 euro fine, or both, after he twice declined to give evidence at Bosnian Serb leader Karadzic’s trial because he said he was physically unable to do so.

He was subpoenaed on Karadzic’s request and brought to the courtroom on February 7, but refused to be sworn in, saying he could not testify “solely for health reasons”.

“The very thought of me saying anything before this court causes stress for me,” he said, accusing Karadzic of “ruthlessly trampling” all over him.

Krstic, wartime commander of the Drina Corps of the Bosnian Serb Army, was sentenced by the Tribunal in 2004 to 35 years in prison for aiding and abetting genocide in Srebrenica. Karadzic is also facing genocide charges over the Srebrenica massacres in 1995.

Krstic had been serving his sentence in Britain but was returned to the Netherlands after his neck was slashed in a revenge attack by three Muslim inmates at a high-security prison in 2010.

The 65-year-old ex-general said he was “under the constant watch of doctors and psychiatrists” in the Sheveningen detention centre where he is now jailed.

The trial chamber then ordered Krstic to undergo medical and psychiatric evaluation which, said presiding judge O-gon Kwon, showed there were no medical reasons for him not to testify.

Krstic was brought before the judges again on February 25, but he repeated that he could not testify, although presiding judge Kwon warned him he could be held in contempt of court.

“For reasons you know about, I did not change my stance that I cannot testify in this case. I simply cannot go against my health,” Krstic said in the courtroom.

Krstic’s plea hearing on the contempt charge is scheduled for April 4.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Sudinica u sudu u Kišinjevu u Moldaviji izriče presudu učesnicima kampova u Moldaviji. Foto: Detektor
Moldova Convicts Three of Attending Subversion Camps in Bosnia, Serbia
A court in Chinsinau convicted three Moldovan citizens of participating in Russian-led training camps in Bosnia and Serbia in 2024 in order to incite unrest and disrupt elections at home.
Bosnian History Teachers Visit Former Camps in Brcko and Learn How to Teach About War
To help school teachers learn more about how to teach students about the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina, a group of teachers from several towns and cities visited detention camps in a former elementary school in Brcko.
BIRN BiH Joins in Presenting Database of Facts About War and Handbook for Teachers
BIRN BiH Presents Database and Film on Wartime Missing Children
BIRN BiH Director Wins ‘Goran Bubalo’ Peace Award