Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian


Adem Kostjeravac after he was deported to Bosnia from the US in 2020. Photo: Bosnian state prosecution.

The state court in Sarajevo said on Thursday that it has rejected defence and prosecution appeals and confirmed the verdict convicting Adem Kostjerevac of committing a war crime against the civilian population.

Kostjerevac was found guilty in December last year of raping a woman in the village of Bajrici in the Zvornik area on an undetermined date between September 19 and October 4, 1992.

He committed the crime when he was a military policeman with the Zvornik First Muslim Brigade of the Bosnian Army, the court found.

The verdict said that he forced the victim, who was pregnant at the time, into having sexual intercourse with him on several occasions. The court sentenced him to seven years in prison.

The defence then appealed for the verdict to be quashed or the defendant acquitted, and the prosecution sought an increased sentence, but the appeals chamber of the state court rejected both appeals as unfounded.

The appeals chamber’s verdict was a third-instance ruling and cannot be challenged with a further appeal.

Kostjerevac was extradited from the United States to Bosnia in June 2020.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
The Bosnian state prosecution charged seven former Croatian Defence Council military policemen and civilian police officers with unlawfully detaining and assaulting dozens of Bosniaks in the Zepce area in 1993 and 1994.
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children