Friday, 4 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian


Banja Luka, archive. Photo: BIRN BiH

The Republika Srpska Supreme Court has still not held a session to discuss a prosecution appeal against the acquittal of Milan Macura, a dental technician from Banja Luka, who was the first person ever indicted for terrorism in Bosnia’s Serb-dominated entity.

Macura was acquitted under a first-instance verdict that was handed down in November 2019 following a retrial.

The Supreme Court confirmed to BIRN Bosnia and Herzegovina that the Macura case is at the court, but the appeal session has not been held yet and is not planned to be held in February, according to the court’s calendar.

Under the first-instance verdict handed down by the District Court in Banja Luka on November 15, 2019, Macura was acquitted of terrorism.

He had been accused of posting a message on Instagram, saying he was “the ideal material for suicide” and asking “if someone could give me 150 kilogrammes of C4 explosives so I can blow up Zimzograd” – an event held in Banja Luka to mark the winter holidays.

The Republic Public Prosecutor’s Office in Republika Srpska told BIRN Bosnia and Herzegovina that it filed an appeal for acquittal that a year ago, on February 7, 2020, but no decision on it has been made yet.

“The Prosecutor’s Office filed the appeal due to substantive violations of provisions of the criminal proceedings and violations of the criminal code, as well as due to wrongly or incompletely determined factual status,” the Republic Public Prosecutor’s Office said.

Macura’s case was transferred to the Republic Public Prosecutor’s Office by the District Prosecution in Banja Luka in October 2017.

Macura’s defence lawyer Dragan Stupar also confirmed that no decision has been made in the case after the Banja Luka District Court’s verdict in November 2019.

Under the first-instance verdict from October 2018, Macura was given a suspended sentence, but the Republika Srpska Supreme Court upheld a defence appeal and quashed the verdict, ordering a retrial in September 2019.

Explaining the decision, the Supreme Court said that “the substance of the criminal offence of terrorism must contain two basic elements, namely the execution and goal”.

The indictment alleged, among other things, that Macura threatened to commit a terrorist act with the aim of seriously intimidating the public and seriously disturbing and destroying the basic constitutional, political, economic and social structures of Republika Srpska because he was dissatisfied with the political, economic and social situation.

During the trial he said he published the message on Instagram under his full name, that he did not want to frighten people, and that the comment was intended as a “joke, irony and satire”.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
The Bosnian state prosecution charged seven former Croatian Defence Council military policemen and civilian police officers with unlawfully detaining and assaulting dozens of Bosniaks in the Zepce area in 1993 and 1994.
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children