Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian


Monument to the victims of the Uzdol massacre. Photo: Udruga Trece Bojne Brigade Rama i Branitelja Uzdola.

Families of people killed 27 years ago in a brutal attack by Bosnian Army troops gathered at the Memorial Centre in Uzdol in the Prozor-Rama municipality on Monday to mark the anniversary of their deaths.

Kazimir Zelenika lost his 12-year-old daughter Jadranka, father and mother, as well as some of his cousins, in the attack on Croats in the village by the Bosniak-led Bosnian Army on September 14, 1993.

“Some houses were left totally empty. Forty-one people killed in one village is a lot,” Zelenika told BIRN ahead of the commemoration ceremony.

Uzdol resident Zoran Stojanovic said the victims were women, children and elderly people, some of whom were bedridden.

“A husband and wife were killed in their basement, hugging each other,” Stojanovic added.

He said that besides the civilians, 12 members of the Croatian Defence Council, the Bosnian Croat wartime force, were also murdered.

The Bosnian state court last year sentenced Enver Buza, the wartime commander of the Bosnian Army’s Independent Prozor Battalion, to 12 years in prison for failing to discipline his subordinates for killing 27 Croat civilians in Uzdol.

The court found that Buza controlled a military unit whose members carried out the attack on Uzdol in the early morning of September 14, 1993 and killed the civilians, the youngest of whom was just ten years old, in a “cruel and brutal manner”.

Most of the victims were shot at close range, among them three children.

Buza knew about the crime but “turned a blind eye to the issue of an investigation”, the verdict said.

 

 

 

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
The Bosnian state prosecution charged seven former Croatian Defence Council military policemen and civilian police officers with unlawfully detaining and assaulting dozens of Bosniaks in the Zepce area in 1993 and 1994.
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children