Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

His father was captured and taken to Bajina Basta in Serbia. Then he was handed over to the Bosnian Serb Border Police, who passed him on to the of the Bosnian Serb Army Bratunac Brigade’s military police. After that, he went missing.

“What I have found out unofficially is that were probably taken towards Vlasenica, to the former Susica detention camp, and most probably executed there,” Avdic said.

The 25th anniversary of the massacres is marked this weekend, and the remains of 13 more people believed to have been genocide victims have been exhumed since last year’s commemoration, according to the Bosnian Missing Persons Institute. But for Muhamed Avdic and many others, the waiting continues.

A teenage son vanishes

When Emina Merdzic’s son Azmir fled with his father Salih and other Bosniaks in an attempt to save himself from Bosnian Serb forces’ attack, his mother packed his backback for him.

“He yelled, ‘Mum, you have to give me at least 100 Deutschmarks.’ And I gave it to him,” Merdzic said.

She never saw her son or her husband Salih again. Her husband’s remains have since been found, but Merdzic, who is now 78 years old, said she is losing hope that she will ever be able to hold a proper funeral for Azmir.

“If even a fingernail was found, I would bury it, to see that moment. He should be down there next to his father,” she said.

‘I often dream about him’

Sehida Abdurahmanovic is still searching for the remains of her brother Meho Hasanovic, who also took what she calls “the road of death” to try to escape from Bosnian Serb forces in July 1995.

She said that she and her three sisters lost their lost their father early in life, so her brother acted as a surrogate parent and a role model in life.

“I often dream about meeting him, hugging and kissing him,” Abdurahmanovic said.

This report is part of BIRN’s ongoing campaign entitled If You Were Here, which tells the stories of family members of missing persons from the Balkan wars who are still waiting to discover the fate of their loved ones.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Syria Looks to Bosnia’s Experience to Deal with War’s Mass Graves
With 150,000 people listed as missing from Syria’s brutal civil conflict, the new authorities are looking to learn from the International Committee on Missing Persons’ success in locating mass graves and missing persons from the Bosnian war.
Nestali (ne) znači zaboravljeni: Kako se traže nestali u ratu u Ukrajini
Tokom skoro tri godine rata, u Ukrajini je nestalo oko 54.000 osoba, a hiljade ukrajinskih porodica traga sa svojim najmilijim uprkos nedostatku informacija. Iako se potraga odražava na njihovo mentalno zdravlje, oni gaje nadu da postoji mogućnost da je član baš njihove porodice živ i u zatočeništvu, te da je moguć njegov ili njen povratak kući.
Ukraine Fights Legal Nihilism with Transitional Justice Training