Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Prosecutor Marijana Cobovic cited witnesses’ testimonies which recalled the detention of Serb civilians from the villages of Bucje and Gorazde without any court proceedings or justified security reasons.

She said it had been proved that Merkez, in his capacity as chief of the Public Security Station in Gorazde, accepted an unlawful order issued by the Bosnian Serb war presidency in July 1992 and chose a space where around 100 civilian detainees would be accommodated.

Cobovic told the court that it had been proved that Bogunic then became the de facto chief of the Public Security Station in Gorazde from September 1992, while Huric was the commander of the local police station.

The prosecutor said the Serb civilians were detained at the Public Security Station and in four apartments for several months.

Witnesses testified that they were “packed like sardines”, relieved themselves inside the cell, did not bathe for six months, that some infectious diseases appeared and some of them lost up to 45 kilogrammes, she continued.

According to the prosecutor, an elderly prisoner called Bozo Krstovic died due to the consequences of his detention.

Cobovic said that the civilians who were detained in the apartments heard that Merkez would not allow them to go to the basement during shelling, and sent word that he “would come, tie them to the balcony and let their own men kill them”.

“It is true that local residents of Gorazde lived under difficult conditions, but the detained civilians were in a much worse situation,” she added.

The defence teams will present their closing statements on July 25.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Local Wartime Security Chief Acquitted of Rape Charges in Bosnia
Bosnia's state court ruled that Andrija Bjelosevic was not guilty of the multiple rape of a Bosniak woman in Derventa during the 1990s war, questioning the reliability of her testimony.
Bosnian Serb Ex-Soldier Convicted of Forced Disappearances
The Bosnian state court convicted wartime Bosnian Serb Army soldier Zoran Ilic of the forced disappearances of 16 Bosniak civilians who were seized by troops near Rogatica in June 1992.
Bosnian Serb Ex-Soldiers Plead Not Guilty to Aiding Genocide
Seven Bosnian Army Ex-Troops Convicted of Wartime Prisoner Abuse
Bosnia Convicts Serb Ex-Fighter of Raping Woman Prisoner