Sunday, 6 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Hamzic, the former commander of the Territorial Defense Company in Stupari, and Ramiz Halilovic, the commander of the military police in Stupari, have been charged with beating two detained Serb civilians named Radovan and Luka after they had been brought to Tarevo. According to the charges, Hamzic interrogated one of the civilians in Lupoglavo, while beating and slapping him. He allegedly threatened and insulted other captives as well.

Hamzic and Halilovic are on trial along with Safet Mujcinovic, Selman Busnov, Nusret Muhic, Nedzad Hodzic, Osman Gogic and Kahro Vejzovic. They have been charged with the unlawful detention of Serb civilians in Stupari, as well as the assault and inhumane treatment of detained Serb civilians.

Rasim Vejzovic testified at today’s hearing in Hamzic’s defense. He said Hamzic was his commander in May 1992, and that his former deputy, Refik Avdic, took over a month later. He said about 12 members of the Territorial Defense went to the village of Lupoglavo on June 7, 1992. He said gunfire could be heard from that direction later on.

“We went there to see what was happening,” Vejzovic said. He said they found weapons at the houses of local Serbs.

Vejzovic said Radovan and Luka, two local Serbs discovered with weapons, were taken to Tarevo to be handed over to the police. After having completed his tasks in Lupoglavo, Vejzovic said he returned to Tarevo. He said he didn’t see defendants Hamzic or Ramiz Halilovic there.

Zijad Vejzovic, the second witness to testify in Hamzic’s defense, said the Territorial Defense Company in Stupari was formed on June 16, 1992. He said Hamzic was appointed its commander. He said local Territorial Defense units in the village existed prior to the company’s formation.

Hamzic’s defense presented Vejzovic’s notes from that period. The notes contained details on the establishment of the Territorial Defense Company in Stupari on June 16, 1992. Vejzovic said he took the notes during the official line-up of the company on June 16, the day it was formed.

Vejzovic said prior to that a meeting was held at which Hamzic was proposed as a commander. Vejzovic said he led one of the company’s squads.

Saban Kadric, the third witness to testify in Hamzic’s defense, also described the establishment of the Territorial Defense Company in Stupari. He said the company was formed in mid-June 1992 and that Hamzic was appointed its commander.

The trial will continue on October 16.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Detektor Journalist Wins First Prize at ‘Remembering Through Art’ Exhibition
A testimony by Srebrenica mother Emina Hajdarevic about the son she lost in the 1995 Srebrenica genocide, filmed by Detektor journalist Lamija Grebo, has won first prize at the Remembering through Art online exhibition.
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnia Indicts Five Serb Ex-Military Policemen for Genocide
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children