State Prosecution Witness Fails to Appear at Prijedor War Crimes Trial
This post is also available in: Bosnian
The defendants, all former members of the Bosnian Serb Army, have been charged with participating in the persecution of non-Serb civilians from the Kozarac area and surrounding villages in the municipality of Prijedor from May 24 to mid-August 1992. The indictment alleges that the defendants participated in acts of murder and enforced disappearances.
At today’s hearing, trial chamber chair Vesna Jesenkovic said the state prosecution witness scheduled to testify had not been found at their address. She added that this was the third time the trial had been postponed due to the absence of state prosecution witnesses.
Prosecutor Cazim Hasanspahic said the witnesses had changed their phone numbers, making it difficult to contact them.
“This will not happen in the future. It’s hard for me to get hold of his phone number. I had information that the witness would be here in August and I had his address,” Hasanspahic said.
Jesenkovic told him he should contact all remaining witnesses in advance and provide the court with the schedule of their testimonies.