Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Mladic’s lawyer Branko Lukic told the Hague Tribunal on Thursday that the International Commission for Missing Persons (ICMP) wrongly identified victims and tried to cover this up by paying bribes.

Lukic cited a statement allegedly given by Jasmin Odobasic, the former deputy chief of the former Bosnian Federation Commission for Missing Persons.

Ian Hanson, the ICMP deputy director for forensics replied that he did not know Odobasic but admitted that he knew of cases of misidentification which the ICMP had tried to fix.

Hanson began his testimony to the UN-backed court on Wednesday, when he said that “371 sets of mortal remains” were exhumed from a mass grave at the Tomasica mine, near Prijedor, in 2013. He said that some had been transferred from there to the grave in Jakarina Kosa.

Prosecutors allege that Bosnian Serb forces killed the Bosniaks whose bodies were buried at the Tomasica mine in the spring of 1992 during an ethnic cleansing campaign in the area.

Citing Odobasic’s statement, Lukic said that during an exhumation in Jakarina Kosa in 2001, two bodies were identified as one person. Hanson said that he did not know of Odobasic’s statements and that the exhumation in 2001 was before his time at the ICMP.

Asked if the ICMP had wrongly identified victims and given bodies to the wrong families, forcing re-exhumations, Hanson said that “wrong identifications were not unusual”.

But he said he knew nothing of Odobasic’s claims that the ICMP gave bribes to a police officer in Bihac to “hide wrong identifications”.

Mladic is charged with genocide in Srebrenica and several other municipalities in 1992 – Prijedor among them.

He is also on trial for genocide in 1995 in Srebrenica, terrorising the population of Sarajevo and taking UN peacekeepers hostage.

The UN-backed court decided last year to allow the prosecution, which had already finished presenting its evidence against Mladic, to call a series of new witnesses to testify about Tomasica.

The trial continues on Monday.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
The Bosnian state prosecution charged seven former Croatian Defence Council military policemen and civilian police officers with unlawfully detaining and assaulting dozens of Bosniaks in the Zepce area in 1993 and 1994.
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children