Friday, 4 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Kaleta testified in defense of Mustafa Djelilovic, who is charged with Fadil Covic, Mirsad Sabic, Nezir Kazic, Becir Hujic, Halid Covic, Serif Mesanovic and Nermin Kalember with the unlawful detention, inhumane treatment, physical and mental suffering and forced labour of detainees in Hadzici.

According to the charges, Djelilovic was the president of the municipal assembly, crisis committee and wartime presidency of the municipality of Hadzici, while the other defendants were members of military and police authorities and managers of detention camps. Kalember was a guard at the Silos detention camp.

On the second day of his testimony, Kaleta said local authorities were not able to find out what had happened to 184 Bosniaks who were arrested and detained in the part of Hadzici under Serb control.

“The wives, children and mothers of those people organized a massive protest in Pazaric and Tarcin. They requested a moratorium to be put on all future exchanges until the fate of the 184 captives had been revealed,” Kaleta said.

Kaleta said this issue was important for security reasons, because many of the Hadzici captives were members of the Bosnian Army.

“There was a danger that their morale would be reduced, which would represent a threat to defense. This issue was raised to the state level, in fact to the State Commission for Prisoner Exchange and the Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovina,” Kaleta said.

Kaleta said the wartime presidency received information on the mistreatment of detainees held at Silos and rendered a decision to reinforce the external security of the facility.

“It happened that some armed groups came by and the guards weren’t able to confront them,” he said. He said the public safety station was in charge of security services for a brief period of time.

When asked by the state prosecution whether he participated in the arrests of Serbs in any way, Kaleta said no.

The prosecution will continue examining witnesses on July 2.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Detektor Journalist Wins First Prize at ‘Remembering Through Art’ Exhibition
A testimony by Srebrenica mother Emina Hajdarevic about the son she lost in the 1995 Srebrenica genocide, filmed by Detektor journalist Lamija Grebo, has won first prize at the Remembering through Art online exhibition.
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnia Indicts Five Serb Ex-Military Policemen for Genocide
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children