Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Veselin Vlahovic, alias ‘Batko’, has appealed against his lengthy sentence for a campaign of murder, rape, torture and robbery against Bosniaks and Croats in Sarajevo in 1992.

Lawyers for Vlahovic, who was given Bosnia’s longest-ever prison term for war crimes, asked on Wednesday for a lighter sentence or a retrial for the man dubbed the ‘Monster of Grbavica’ by the media for his violent campaign in the Sarajevo suburbs during the conflict.

The Bosnian state court last year found Vlahovic guilty of 60 different crimes including 35 murders and 11 rapes, as well as torture, imprisonment and looting in the Kovacici, Vraca and Grbavica neigbourhoods of Sarajevo while he was serving with Bosnian Serb paramilitary units.

But his defence lawyer Radivoje Lazarevic said that his client did not have a fair trial and the facts were not properly established.

“We had problems with evidence and witnesses. When we proposed the list of 20 witnesses to the trial chamber, the judges refused seven, arguing they were not direct witnesses,” said Lazaravic.

He also said that the prosecution did not provide all the evidence to the defence.

Vlahovic meantime denied his guilt, arguing that there were no witnesses who could confirm that he was direct perpetrator of the crimes.

But the state prosecution asked the court to uphold the sentence and also convict Vlahovic of charges of which he was acquitted at the first trial.

Prosecutor Behaja Krnjic said that the trial chamber had enough evidence for convictions on all charges, including the killing of a married couple, Gorusanin and Nihad Jazic.

No date has yet been set for a decision on the appeals.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
The Bosnian state prosecution charged seven former Croatian Defence Council military policemen and civilian police officers with unlawfully detaining and assaulting dozens of Bosniaks in the Zepce area in 1993 and 1994.
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children