Wednesday, 18 february 2026.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Helge Brunborg, Prosecution’s expert in demography, says at Ratko Mladic’s trial that 7,692 Muslim men from the Srebrenica enclave went missing after the fall of Srebrenica in July 1995.

5,601 persons, who had been exhumed from mass graves in the Zvornik surroundings, or 65.8 percent of the missing people had been identified by 2009, when he submitted his report to the Prosecution. It was determined that a total of 66.7 percent of the missing were dead.

“I think we shall never find all of the missing persons, but we are getting closer and closer,” Brunborg said.

Prosecutor Peter Mchloskey announced that another demographic expert, Eva Tabeau, as well as the Prosecution’s investigator Dusan Janc would soon present newer data.

Mladic, former Commander of the Republika Srpska Army, VRS, is charged with genocide against about 7,000 Muslims from Srebrenica, as well as other crimes committed in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Norwegian demographer Brunborg explained that he made the list of the missing persons by crossing a list made by the International Committee of Red Cross, ICRC, immediately after the fall of Srebrenica and other lists, including results of the population census in Srebrenica in 1991 and postwar electoral lists.

The Prosecution’s expert pointed out that had had not come across any examples of organised false reporting of disappearance of people from Srebrenica, confirming that some mistakes, like doubling the names of the missing, did happen, but they were corrected.

He said that no fake persons had been registered as missing with the aim of increasing the number of the missing persons and that all the persons, who were found to be alive, were removed from the list of the missing.

Mladic’s Defence attorney, who began cross-examining Brunborg today, is due to complete the cross-examination of July 26.

Prosecutor Peter Mchloskey announced that he would complete the presentation of evidence against Mladic until the end of October or beginning of November.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Sudinica u sudu u Kišinjevu u Moldaviji izriče presudu učesnicima kampova u Moldaviji. Foto: Detektor
Moldova Convicts Three of Attending Subversion Camps in Bosnia, Serbia
A court in Chinsinau convicted three Moldovan citizens of participating in Russian-led training camps in Bosnia and Serbia in 2024 in order to incite unrest and disrupt elections at home.
Bosnian History Teachers Visit Former Camps in Brcko and Learn How to Teach About War
To help school teachers learn more about how to teach students about the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina, a group of teachers from several towns and cities visited detention camps in a former elementary school in Brcko.
BIRN BiH Joins in Presenting Database of Facts About War and Handbook for Teachers
BIRN BiH Presents Database and Film on Wartime Missing Children
BIRN BiH Director Wins ‘Goran Bubalo’ Peace Award