Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Complaining about what she said was insufficient punishment for prison camp commander Dronjak’s wartime crimes against Bosniaks and Croats, prosecutor Dzemila Begovic requested that the verdict should be changed and the accused sentenced to at least 30 years in jail.

“Forty-five people were brutally murdered… The defendant treated the prisoners monstrously. The court established that he killed one of them in cold blood,” said Begovic.

Defence lawyer Slobodan Peric however requested that Dronjak be released, given a lighter sentence, or sent to a retrial.

Dronjak was convicted of establishing a system of imprisonment and abuse of Croat and Bosniak prisoners who were held in the Slavko Rodic school and Kamenica camp in Drvar during the Bosnian conflict. The guards abused the prisoners daily, the verdict specified, and murders were also committed.

But Dronjak was acquitted of two counts that charged him with the murder of several prisoners who had been taken out of the Kamenica camp.

According to the prosecutor, the first instance chamber accepted the defendant’s cooperation and his poor health as extenuating circumstances. However, she said, Dronjak did not cooperate with the prosecution and the state of his health was accepted without any proof.

Defence lawyer Peric said that the witnesses who spoke about Dronjak killing prisoners were instructed to do so. He added that the prisoners in the Kamenica camp were abused at night, when Dronjak was not around.

Peric said that a medical expert had established that Dronjak was 80 per cent incapacitated.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
The Bosnian state prosecution charged seven former Croatian Defence Council military policemen and civilian police officers with unlawfully detaining and assaulting dozens of Bosniaks in the Zepce area in 1993 and 1994.
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children