Tuesday, 17 february 2026.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

After having received the complete set of documents it requested from the Prosecution six days ago, the Defence of indictee Mladic asked the Court, during the status conference, to postpone the beginning of the trial, which was set for May 16.

“The fact that we did not receive the documents on time was neither the Defence’s nor Mladic’s fault. Therefore, we have not had enough time to prepare. It has not been possible in such short period of time,” said Branko Lukic, Defence attorney of Mladic.

The Trial Chamber will render its decision about the Defence’s trial postponement motion at a later stage. Judge Alphons Orie said that he would consider the consequences of the delayed disclosure of documents by The Hague Prosecution as well.

“We shall consider the reasons for not disclosing those documents earlier and the eventual legal remedies in this case, even if that means that we will have to invite some witnesses again due to the fact that the documents were not disclosed on time,” Orie said.

The Prosecution expressed its concern due to Trial Chamber’s guidelines about taking statements from witnesses, who previously testified at other trials held before The Hague Tribunal.

“The guidelines prevent us from presenting our evidence during 200 working hours, as previously announced. I think that this is unnecessary waste of time. There is no purpose in taking statements from witnesses again,” said Prosecutor Dermot Groom, adding that taking statements from witnesses again could cause additional traumas.

The Defence supported the Trial Chamber’s guidelines, pointing out that it objected to the inclusion of witnesses’ statements given at other trials, saying that it violated the rules, given the fact that the statements did not contain information about the indictee’s acts and conduct.

Judge Orie said that the guidelines were adopted by the full composition of the Chamber, but he would consider the Prosecution’s arguments.

Ratko Mladic is charged with genocide, crimes against humanity and violation of the laws and customs of war in Bosnia and Herzegovina in the period from 1992 to 1995. He was arrested in May last year. His initial appearance before The Hague Tribunal judges took place on June 3, 2011.

Judge Orie said that, during the day (Thursday, May 3) the Chamber would render a decision about the beginning of the trial date.

“We do not want to rush into the decision. We shall take sufficient time to consider everything. Although this is an urgent issue that cannot wait, I hope that we will send a response to the parties to the proceedings during the day,” Orie explained.
M.B.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Sudinica u sudu u Kišinjevu u Moldaviji izriče presudu učesnicima kampova u Moldaviji. Foto: Detektor
Moldova Convicts Three of Attending Subversion Camps in Bosnia, Serbia
A court in Chinsinau convicted three Moldovan citizens of participating in Russian-led training camps in Bosnia and Serbia in 2024 in order to incite unrest and disrupt elections at home.
Bosnian History Teachers Visit Former Camps in Brcko and Learn How to Teach About War
To help school teachers learn more about how to teach students about the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina, a group of teachers from several towns and cities visited detention camps in a former elementary school in Brcko.
BIRN BiH Joins in Presenting Database of Facts About War and Handbook for Teachers
BIRN BiH Presents Database and Film on Wartime Missing Children
BIRN BiH Director Wins ‘Goran Bubalo’ Peace Award