Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Konjic. Photo: BIRN BiH

The Bosnian state court said on Thursday that it has rejected an appeal by the state prosecution as “ill-founded” and confirmed the first-instance verdict acquitting Agan Ramic of mistreating a minor in the village of Brdjani in the Konjic area in May 1992.

The state court’s statement said the verdict acquitting Ramic of crimes against humanity was confirmed on December 6.

The court’s first-instance verdict in May last year ruled that the crime was incorrectly classified as a crime against humanity in the indictment.

The presiding judge said that the prosecution had not offered concrete evidence for this legal classification, and that the court had not found, on the basis of the evidence presented, that Ramic acted in the way portrayed in the indictment.

The indictment had claimed that Ramic went to the minor’s family’s house in Brdjani on an undetermined date in May 1992, wearing an army uniform, and asked the minor to catch a lamb for him.

The minor caught a lamb but Ramic was dissatisfied with it and started hitting him with a rifle butt. Other members of the Territorial Defence then joined in, the indictment claimed.

Ramic was charged with having committed the crime as part of a widespread and systematic attack on the Serb population in the Konjic area.

Explaining the acquittal in May 2022, the presiding judge cited inconsistencies between the indictment and the victim’s evidence, adding that the victim did not even confirm where the incident took place.

Under the original indictment, Ramic was charged with committing crimes against the Serb civilian population in the Konjic area between May 1992 and May 1993 alongside Esad Ramic, Omer Boric, Sefik Niksic, Adnan Alikadic, Mitko Pirkic, Redzo Balic, Hamed Lukomirko, Safaudin Cosic, Muhamed Cakic, Ismet Hebibovic, Enes Jahic, Senadin Cibo, Zeljko Simunovic and Zdenko Grbavac.

However, Ramic and Grbavac’s cases were separated from the case against the others because he was unavailable to the Bosnian judiciary at the time.

The second-instance verdict cannot be appealed.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
The Bosnian state prosecution charged seven former Croatian Defence Council military policemen and civilian police officers with unlawfully detaining and assaulting dozens of Bosniaks in the Zepce area in 1993 and 1994.
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children