Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Jahja Vuković
Jahja Vukovic. Photo: Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina

The state court in Sarajevo cleared Jahja Vukovic of going to Syria and fighting for terrorist organisations in 2014 when he was still a minor.

The indictment claimed that he travelled from Bosnia and Herzegovina to Germany in June 2014, then departed to Antalya in Turkey, in August that year, crossed the Syrian border and stayed in the town of Jisr al-Shughur, where he took part in terrorist activities and assisted and fought for the Jabhat al-Nusra Front until the collapse of the so-called Islamic State.

After he was then located in Turkey, Vukovic was extradited to Bosnia in October 2020.

Giving a brief explanation of the first-instance verdict, presiding judge Nenad Seleda said the prosecution had not proved beyond reasonable doubt that the criminal offence was committed at the time and in the manner described in the indictment.

The court found that it had not been proved that Vukovic travelled to Syria to fight for terrorist organisations, participate in terrorist activities and provide assistance in the fight against the regular Syrian forces.

“ Witness A was the only witness to have spoken about Vukovic’s time in Syria, but he only presented indirect findings. His testimony was not supported by evidence and the court was unable to come to a conclusion about whether he was responsible on the basis of that testimony,” judge Seleda said.

Seleda said the prosecution attempted to prove that Vukovic appeared in a video that was posted on social networks, but the court was unable to establish this as a fact.
“The court could not determine in a reliable way that it was Vukovic, because the video only shows the lower part of the person’s body,” Seleda said.

The judge said the defendant had been a very young man who assumed he was not a terrorist, and was acquitted for all of the reasons given.

Vukovic was not in court for verdict. Measures limiting his movement were lifted, and he was exempted from paying court costs.

The verdict can be appealed.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
The Bosnian state prosecution charged seven former Croatian Defence Council military policemen and civilian police officers with unlawfully detaining and assaulting dozens of Bosniaks in the Zepce area in 1993 and 1994.
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children