Friday, 4 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian


The defendants in court with their lawyers. Photo: Bosnian state court.

Edin Gadzo’s defence lawyer urged the Bosnian state court on Friday to acquit his client, arguing that he could not have issued any orders to detain anyone because he was just a driver.

The prosecution alleges that Gadzo and his co-defendant Senad Dzananovic and unlawfully detained, tortured, mistreated and killed civilian detainees in the Alipasino Polje B Faza neighbourhood of Sarajevo in 1992 during the wartime siege of the city.

The two men are alleged to have been members of the ‘Stela’ unit of the local Territorial Defence force and of Bosnian Army special units during wartime.

But defence lawyer Senad Bilic said in his closing arguments that Gadzo could not have ordered anyone to detain civilians, and that he did not have the authority to decide on whether they should be detained or released, because he was a driver whose role was just to bring the prisoners to the detention facility.

He said that Gadzo did not torture one civilian, as the indictment claims, but only hit him.

“The witness said he hit him on one occasion. That cannot be classified as torture and beating,” lawyer Bilic said.

He noted that Gadzo had been found to have a diminished mental capacity in 1992, and that he was found incapable of serving in the military in 1985.

Gadzo also addressed the court and said that his job was just to drive, and that he did not kill anyone.

The lawyer for his co-defendant Senad Dzananovic called for a verdict of acquittal at an earlier hearing in January.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Local Wartime Security Chief Acquitted of Rape Charges in Bosnia
Bosnia's state court ruled that Andrija Bjelosevic was not guilty of the multiple rape of a Bosniak woman in Derventa during the 1990s war, questioning the reliability of her testimony.
Bosnian Serb Ex-Soldier Convicted of Forced Disappearances
The Bosnian state court convicted wartime Bosnian Serb Army soldier Zoran Ilic of the forced disappearances of 16 Bosniak civilians who were seized by troops near Rogatica in June 1992.
Bosnian Serb Ex-Soldiers Plead Not Guilty to Aiding Genocide
Seven Bosnian Army Ex-Troops Convicted of Wartime Prisoner Abuse
Bosnia Convicts Serb Ex-Fighter of Raping Woman Prisoner