Friday, 4 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Jasmin Keserovic. Izvor: Sud BiH Jasmin Keserović. Source: The State Court

The expert witness, psychiatrist Azra Alajbegovic, analysed whether the four witnesses, who were flown back to Bosnia from Syria in December last year and whose names cannot be revealed because of a court ruling, are able to appear as witnesses.

Alajbegovic said that three of the witnesses are unable to testify in court for medical reasons, but one of them could be helped back to a condition in which she might be able to testify with support, but that this would take between three and six months.

Asked by presiding judge Dzemila Begovic whether this preparation would guarantee success, the expert witness said it would not, and might even be counterproductive.

When asked by the defence whether it could be said that the witnesses were in a stable mental state when they gave their statements to investigators in the case, Alajbegovic said that she was not involved in that.

The defence stated no objection to the expert witness’s findings.

Keserovic is charged with going to Syria in January 2013 and participating, as a member of the so-called Islamic State, in terrorist activities. He has also been accused of publicly inciting terrorist activities.

Following the presentation of the expert witness’s findings, prosecutor Cazim Hasanspahic proposed that the four witnesses’ statements be read in the courtroom.

With the consent of the defense, the statements were presented on an overhead projector and included prosecution evidence without being read.

A protected witness codenamed N-2 was due to testify at the hearing but did not appear, and the State Investigation and Protection Agency did not explain to the state court and prosecution why it had not brought the witness to court.

The trial is due to continue on January 21.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Detektor Journalist Wins First Prize at ‘Remembering Through Art’ Exhibition
A testimony by Srebrenica mother Emina Hajdarevic about the son she lost in the 1995 Srebrenica genocide, filmed by Detektor journalist Lamija Grebo, has won first prize at the Remembering through Art online exhibition.
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnia Indicts Five Serb Ex-Military Policemen for Genocide
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children