Friday, 4 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian


Vojnik samoproglašene Donjecke Narodne Republike (DNR) tokom 2014. godine. Foto: EPA-EFE/DAVE MUSTAINE

The State Investigation and Protection Agency arrested a 41-year-old man from Banja Luka on suspicion that he went to fight in the conflict in Ukraine, SIPA told BIRN Bosnia and Herzegovina.

The man, whose identity SIPA has not revealed, landed at Sarajevo airport on Monday on a regular flight from Belgrade.

“The State Border Police determined through a routine check that an arrest warrant had been issued against him and that the court had sentenced him to one day in jail. The Court Police of Republika Srpska then came for him and drove him to a prison where he served a one-day sentence. The State Investigation and Protection Agency arrested him last night,” said SIPA spokesperson Luka Miladinovic.

After SIPA processes the suspect, a prosecutor will decide on his status.

Gavrilo Stevic from Banja Luka is the only person who has been tried for going to the Ukrainian conflict zone so far, but the stage court acquitted him under a first-instance verdict. An appeal is currently underway.

Data that SIPA presented at the trial of Stevic suggested that in recent years, 12 Bosnian citizens have travelled to the Ukrainian conflict zone, where government forces are battling Russian-backed rebels in the eastern Donbas region.

SIPA has filed reports about crimes allegedly committed by each of them to the state prosecution because the law prohibits participation in foreign conflicts.

The criminal code also prohibits forming and joining foreign paramilitary or para-police formations.

Those who “organise, manage, train, equip or mobilise individuals or groups with the aim of joining, in any way, foreign military, foreign paramilitary or foreign para-police formations operating outside Bosnia and Herzegovina” can face a prison sentence.

 

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
The Bosnian state prosecution charged seven former Croatian Defence Council military policemen and civilian police officers with unlawfully detaining and assaulting dozens of Bosniaks in the Zepce area in 1993 and 1994.
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children