Saturday, 5 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian


Ibro Cufurovic. Photo: State court

“The court has delivered a second-instance verdict rejecting the appeals filed by the prosecution, defendant Ibro Cufurovic and his defense attorney as unfounded, and confirmed the verdict,” the state court said in a statement.

Under the first-instance verdict from December 2019, Cufurovic was sentenced to four years in prison after having admitted that he left Bosnia and Herzegovina on April 21, 2014, travelled to Turkey and then illegally crossed the Syrian border with the intention of fighting for so-called Islamic State which was operating in Syria and Iraq.

According to the prosecution’s allegations, Cufurovic participated in terrorist activities under the name of Abu Kasim Albosni, offered help and fought for ISIL in Syria as a member of Bejt Komandos Unit, which was later renamed El Aksa.

Cufurovic was deported from Syria in April 2019 and the prosecution indicted against him in July that year. He previously admitted that he fought in Syria in 2014 and 2015, that he was a member of units there and did guard duty. He also said that he was captured, as a civilian, together with his family on the Turkish border in 2016.

In its appeal, the prosecution had sought a longer sentence for Cufurovic, arguing that he was “the first Bosnian citizen who stayed at the Syrian battlefront until the end and actively participated in ISIL forces”.

Cufurovic’s defence had asked for the first-instance verdict be revised and a shorter sentence imposed, while the defendant himself proposed that the time he spent in a military prison in Syria be counted towards his sentence.

The appeals chamber rejected all these appeals and confirmed the four-year prison sentence.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Detektor Journalist Wins First Prize at ‘Remembering Through Art’ Exhibition
A testimony by Srebrenica mother Emina Hajdarevic about the son she lost in the 1995 Srebrenica genocide, filmed by Detektor journalist Lamija Grebo, has won first prize at the Remembering through Art online exhibition.
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnia Indicts Five Serb Ex-Military Policemen for Genocide
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children