Friday, 20 february 2026.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Prosecutor Elvira Stanojlovic told the state court that the investigation into terrorism suspect Milarem Berbic was not yet finished and that the prosecution was waiting for a response to a request for international legal assistance from the United States and for an expert analysis to be completed.

Stanojlovic asked the court to extend the custody remand for Berbic, who is suspected of unlawfully forming and joining foreign paramilitary formations, due to the danger that he might flee and repeat the criminal offence, as well as because the general public might be upset if he was freed.

Stanojlovic said that Berbic had stayed in Syria for a number of years and was a member of a terrorist organisation, trained for combat.

She said there was a fear that following his release, Berbic might get in touch with people with whom he had contact when leaving for Syria.

She referred to a video depicting the suspect and other fighters calling on people to go to Syria, and if they could not go, to kill whoever they could.

The defence objected to the custody extension request, proposing other restrictive measures instead.

“We cannot be held hostage by international legal assistance. The question is, when will we get it?” defence lawyer Kenan Ademovic asked.

Drawing a parallel with war crime cases in which he was involved, Ademovic said that defendants who were eventually convicted of those crimes were not ordered into custody.

Ademovic argued that Berbic has no reason to flee amid the crisis caused by the coronavirus pandemic, and no way to do it. He also said that he did not see how Berbic could repeat the crime whileborders were closed.

He said that Berbic had gone to Syria in 2014, following his daughter, who had previously gone there with her husband. He said her husband had then been killed.

“We do not deny that was there and that somebody saw him there wearing a uniform, but it does not mean that he was a member of a paramilitary formation,” Ademovic said.

The trial chamber will rule on the custody request at a later stage.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Sudinica u sudu u Kišinjevu u Moldaviji izriče presudu učesnicima kampova u Moldaviji. Foto: Detektor
Moldova Convicts Three of Attending Subversion Camps in Bosnia, Serbia
A court in Chinsinau convicted three Moldovan citizens of participating in Russian-led training camps in Bosnia and Serbia in 2024 in order to incite unrest and disrupt elections at home.
‘Let the Hunt Begin’: Serb Mercenaries Bring Russia’s Ukraine Drone War to TikTok
In a corner of Bosnia, a Serb mercenary who fought for Russia in Ukraine has been bringing live pictures of Russian drone attacks to his followers on TikTok even as he seeks a plea deal with Bosnian authorities for his own role in the war. Experts say such ‘aestheticization’ of conflict normalises violence.
How a TikTokker Used Religion to Obtain Money for Gambling